Someone is sending spam with our distributiongroup email address as sender

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone is sending spam with our distributiongroup email address as sender

Someone is sending spam with our distributiongroup email address as sender, this means that every member of that group got huge load of Non Delivery Reports during the weekend.

Is there a way for me to remove them from the users inboxes, in an automated way, before they come to work tomorrow?

The best thing would be if there is a script that can "Remove all NDR's recieved between 13:50 and 14:50 October 8th from all users inboxes"

EDIT:
    I have configured the group not to accept the false NDR's now.
    This post should have the topic "How can I remove massive amount of NDR messages from users inboxes?"
    Last edited by Anders; 8th October 2006, 14:41.
    A wise man once said: "Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups".

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Re: Someone is sending spam with our distributiongroup email address as sender

Exmerge might help:

http://www.petri.com/delete_messages...ng_exmerge.htm

Next time make sure you do not allow the group to receive email from senders that are not known to you (unless of course it has to, but then at least disable NDRs and OOF).
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Re: Someone is sending spam with our distributiongroup email address as sender

I'm not a 100% sure, but I think the group is created during Small Business Server setup, by default*. It's not good if every SBS2003 out there has a group called [email protected] which includes everyone and accepts external mail by default. I'll make a dummy install and post my findings.

I do ofcourse realise that I should double check everything. The distribution groups is one of the things to verify when tightening up.

*I'm pretty sure it's created during setup because the group includes templates, nothing I'd add to a distribution group.
      A wise man once said: "Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups".

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Comment

Working...
      X