No announcement yet.

Ndr 4.0.0

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ndr 4.0.0

We're getting NDRs with code 4.0.0. Can anyone suggest what this code means?

An example (with details changed) is as follows:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: <Subject Here>
    Sent: 19/09/2006 13:51

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

[email protected] on 04/10/2006 09:13
    The e-mail system was unable to deliver the message, but did not report a specific reason. Check the address and try again. If it still fails, contact your system administrator.
    < #4.0.0 smtp;451 <[email protected]>... Requested mail action not taken: mailbox unavailable>

Message tracking information from Exchange's suggests that the message first left our system on 19/09/2006, as expected. However, it appears to have been resent on 29/09/2006 and 04/10/2006, with exactly the same tracking entries (apart from the recipient mail server). Both of these dates and times correspond to the updating of Microsoft's spam filter. It was only on the 4th that we got the NDR.

Resend and NDR intervals are as default, i.e. we would expect an NDR in two days, not two weeks.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Ndr 4.0.0

I think I saw this message in the newsgroups earlier today. Here was what I replied to in the newsgroups.

Check your SMTP queue folders and see if you have messages queueing up in
    the folder that do not show up in the SMTP Queue Viewer interface in
    Exchange System Manager. I am seeing the same thing, but the only thing
    that is showing up in our outbound queues is junk mail. Everytime we
    restart the SMTP service (or run iisreset), all that stuff gets delivered.

The v4.0.0 code is a "soft" error which means that your SMTP server kept
    retrying. Note that the message includes the text "mailbox not available".
    Are you sure that this is a valid e-mail address?

- Jim McBee

Re: Ndr 4.0.0

Thanks again for the reply, Jim.

You did indeed see this message in Microsoft's newsgroups. My reply there was as follows:

We have a lot of delivery failure notifications in response to junk in the
      queue; too many to have been able to compare with what's visible from
      Exchange's System Manager yet.

What continues to puzzle me is why the NDRs aren't generated earlier. If an
      e-mail address isn't valid, then we would want to be informed earlier than is
      the case.

The services you mention may well be restarted in response to the
      application of a spam definition update, which triggers the NDRs. Rebooting
      the server doesn't do this.