Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excahnge 2003 Setup Problem

Hi People

I have a an AD domain - 2 DC'S. one W2K sp4, one W2K3 servers.The W2K server is the Schema master,etc.

Recently,I established additional server - W2K3 standard SP1,joined it to the domain as a member server - all is ok.

When I tried to setup an Exchange 2003 server (first in the domain) on the W2k3
    member server, the Exchange is "refuse" to complete the installation; is require
    forestprep and domainprep,but doesn't allow me - even I am using the Schema
    Adminstrator account on the member server - to contiune,rejecting me again and again.

May someone help me as for the right procedure to install the Exchange 2003
    on that member server?

Re: Excahnge 2003 Setup Problem

Have you read:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thks - jeremyW

Yes - I did read it,several times; the problem is : when I am doing that Microsoft Foresprep Technet Document Guide, I am getting an error message, require me to logon as Schema Admin - and this is what I am doing !!! anyhow, then,I cannot continue with the normal intallation

Comment

OK, I see that you said that you're a member of the Schema Admins but you need to be a member of the Enterprise Admins, Domain Admins, and a member of the local Administrators as well. The only overlap in the above groups is if you're a member of Enterprise Admins then you are also a member of Domain Admins. Maybe you're a member of all those groups but it wasn't mentioned yet.

What is the exact wording of the error you are getting?
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Jeremy - thks again

I am member of all those groups - and more ;since I am not in work now,I can't display the exact text - I 'll do it tomorrow.
          Several months ago we had an Exchange 5.5 server in the domain,operating on W2K SP4 dc . That Exchange 5.5 had been uninstalled, and the dc had been "dcpromed" and removed from the domain. For very short time, an Exchange 2003 had been installed and removed on the current w2k3 DC . Is this explains the current difficulties in establishing the Exchange 2003 (same media) on the member w2k3 server? is this connected with the schema?

Comment

Originally posted by kipod
            For very short time, an Exchange 2003 had been installed and removed on the current w2k3 DC . Is this explains the current difficulties in establishing the Exchange 2003 (same media) on the member w2k3 server? is this connected with the schema?
            Was this Exch 2003 server installed into your current domain? If so haven't you already run forestprep and domainprep?
            Regards,
            Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

thks again Jeremy

I did run already Forestprep and DomainPREP,successfully; why did the "new"

installations "required" to run it again? when I ignored (and when I didn't

ignore,too) ,the only Echange modules I could installed was just the first and the

third components (Exchange Mgmt),but not the second one ,which is the most

importent - Collaborative and mail exchange,etc.

Comment

Could you post a screen shot?
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

thks Jeremy
                  As for your preious question - yes,the first short-period successfull installation of exchange 2k3 on w2k3 DC deployed on the same,current domain; for short time it even co-existed with Exchange 5.5 server on the other w2k (same domain,too).
                  Later the 5.5 had been successfully removed,and itws DC had been removed from the doman; the remaining Exch 2k3 had been SUCCESSFULLY removed, later, from the w2k3 DC.
                  Now I joined w2k3 standard member server to this domain,and I am trying to install - again - Exchange 2k3 on it - unsuccessfully.this is the repeating screen short (attached bmp files); since I am using an account with all the right groups
                  memberships, I can not find the reason for the intalltion problem.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Are you using the same account that was used previously to install 2003? I think (but I need to verify) that whatever account originally was used to run forestprep gets assigned the Exchange Full Administrator role. If your user or group doesn't have this role assigned then you won't be able to install Exchange.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=289811

This may be a helpful read...
                    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822942/

EDIT - During the forestprep you specify the account that will be the exchange admin
                    On the Microsoft Exchange Server Administrator Account page, in the Account box, type the name of the account or group that is responsible for installing Exchange.
                    See step 7 http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true
                    Last edited by JeremyW; 28th September 2006, 16:21.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Kipod, you post an image in BMP format, 224KB. The same image in JPG is 23KB. Please post the smaller image format in the future, think of the poor members on dialup!!
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

If you have already installed Exchange the schemam would have been updated and you shouldn't need to run it again.

Did you successfully un-install Exchange from the domain??

Comment

Hello

I am using the same acount in all my related DC's and Domain activities - installations,mainteneance; this is the acount I used to instal the W2K3,the EXchange w2k3 (the first time) ,to join the member server,and the unsuccesful
                          efforts to setup again Exchange w2k3 on that member server; should I to run
                          forestprep and domainprep again, if it had been done succesfully before?
                          anyhow, I tried to run Forestprep and Domainprep again, but it failed.
                          Do you suggest to use a new account ,tailored specifically for this setup? i will
                          try it.l

Comment

Hello Wullieb1

yes - there were TWO Exchange server the current domain - the first one was Ex 5.5 (on w2k sp4 DC), and the second one was Ex 2k3 - both of them were removed successfully from the domain.

Comment

I did some searching around and I didn't find anyone that had a solution.

If you have no Exchange servers left in your domain then maybe RemoveOrg is for you?
                              Last edited by JeremyW; 29th September 2006, 13:21.
                              Regards,
                              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                              X