Migrating exchange 2003 to a new server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating exchange 2003 to a new server

I am migrating exchange 2003 from a windows 2003 Ent server to a windows 2003R2 Ent server. I have done the migration and can send and receive mail to and from the new server, however I am having AD GC problems. The old server is still online and all the exchange services are stopped, however when I uncheck the global catalogue setting on the old server, outlook does not work and I get event ID 2103 which is an Exchange dsacess error saying no global catalogue servers are responding, yet the new server has been a GC server for a week or more. This problem is exchange specific, if I go into ESM on the new server, right click on the server icon, click properties and go to directory access, I see only the old server for all of the frop down menus. How can I make the new server show up in ESM for all the server roles?

AM

Re: Migrating exchange 2003 to a new server

So the "old" server was demoted? You no longer have it as a DC? If yes, did it demote successfully?

Is the "new" server also an Exchange and a DC on the same machine? You know that's bad, do you?

Are there any leftovers from the old DC? In AD? In DNS?

Did you try to manually change the DC referral on the new Exchange? You can do so from the DSAccess tab, just remove the "Automatic" checbox. See if that stops the errors.

For more help we need some answers and more info.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

No the old server has not been demoted yet, but I have transferred all the FSMO roles off of it onto the new server. While I know its not the best scneario to have exchange and a DC on the same server, Microsoft sells it in SBS. I have not tried manually changing the DC referral, I will try this and let you know, is it in ESM that I do this?

AM

Comment

Ok so under the DS tab in ESM on the new server I dropped down to the GC tab, unchecked the automatic button, and manually added the new exchange server. This seems to have resolved the problem as I have removed the old server from being a GC and outlook works and I don't see any errors in the application event log from exchange DSACCESS complaining that no GC servers are responding.

Now, what about the rest of the drop downs in the DS tab that refer to the old server, I am assuming I have to change those too so that they all reflect the new server?

Thanks for your help.

AM

Comment

I spoke too soon, it didnt work. I got the same error on the new server, 2103, that a GC server is not respinding, it listed the new server as a GC that is not responding. I am now trying to put things back the way they were.

AM

Comment

Its ok its all good now. Once I uninstalled exchange from the old server everything resolved itself.

Thanks for all your help.

AM

Comment

Re: Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing your answer with us! I'm sure others will also benefit from knowing what was wrong and how you fixed it.

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
              X