No announcement yet.

defrag question

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• defrag question

my dear life saves friends

i have a SBS 2003 setup on one box for a network of 6 computers.

i have recently wanted to defrag the hard drive which is a RAID5 i think with a total of 370GB space.

i didn't notice at first but one of the files that was fragmented was priv1.edb

i ran a defrag and god i was almost getting a heart attack when i saw that the windows defrag was defragmenting this file. first of all it took like 4 hours in which i was seriously about to die (because i was thinking here's goes their exchange down the drain) and also i started getting a lot of errors in the event log while the database was obviously not availabale. i can't believe i was this stupid.

anyway, it all went fine in the end. now i want to defrag the Hard drive and the priv1.edb file and other exchange file are fragmented. Here is the analyze fragmentation report:

Volume (C
    Volume size = 371 GB
    Cluster size = 4 KB
    Used space = 35.94 GB
    Free space = 335 GB
    Percent free space = 90 %

Volume fragmentation
    Total fragmentation = 15 %
    File fragmentation = 31 %
    Free space fragmentation = 0 %

File fragmentation
    Total files = 65,964
    Average file size = 628 KB
    Total fragmented files = 555
    Total excess fragments = 4,328
    Average fragments per file = 1.06

Pagefile fragmentation
    Pagefile size = 2.00 GB
    Total fragments = 1

Folder fragmentation
    Total folders = 5,573
    Fragmented folders = 9
    Excess folder fragments = 65

Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
    Total MFT size = 70 MB
    MFT record count = 71,652
    Percent MFT in use = 99 %
    Total MFT fragments = 3

Fragments File Size Most fragmented files
    1,064 107 MB \System Volume Information\catalog.wci\
    113 1 KB \Documents and Settings\Administrator\ntuser.dat.LOG
    86 16 MB \Users Shared Folders\catalog.wci\
    79 5 MB \Documents and Settings\MWSERVICE\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\UBL43T7S\wsusscan[1].cab
    78 5 MB \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\catalogs51\352D0808.V01
    54 1 KB \WINDOWS\system32\config\system.LOG
    50 9 MB \Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help 8\msenv.dll
    46 3 MB \WINDOWS\$ExchUninstallKB912442$\mdbmsg.dll
    39 5 MB \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\catalogs51\352E080F.V01
    38 3 MB \WINDOWS\$ExchUninstallKB916803$\excdo.dll
    38 9 MB \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\msenv.dll
    37 2 MB \WINDOWS\system32\MGE\Log.xml
    32 4 MB \WINDOWS\Installer\9576775b.msi
    31 2 MB \WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\HPFIMG50. DLL
    29 4 MB \Program Files\ESET\RA\Server\nod32ra.log
    25 5 MB \Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi 1\UceArchive
    24 5 MB \WINDOWS\$ExchUninstallKB911829$\wmtemplates.dll
    22 5.17 GB \Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\priv1.edb
    21 534 KB \WINDOWS\setupapi.log
    21 1 MB \Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help 8\1033\vsmsoui.dll
    21 1 MB \WINDOWS\Debug\NtFrs_0004.log
    19 974 KB \WINDOWS\SchCache\frank-s01.FRANk.local_389.sch
    18 4 MB \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\Tools\VDT\vdt 80.dll
    17 68 KB \WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\f3489e6e63b cd65fa124fb44a99c4593
    16 846 KB \Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help\hxds.dll
    16 1 MB \WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log
    16 3 MB \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\Microsoft .SqlServer.Express.SqlMgmt.dll
    14 1 MB \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\Microsoft .VisualStudio.vspSmo.dll
    14 3 MB \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\Microsoft .SqlServer.Express.SqlManagerUI.dll

I learned now that you should defrag the priv1.edb on it's own.

Can anyone please guide me how to do it?

As far as I understand, this is what I need to do (please just tell me if i'm right or wrong):

1) full backup of the information store.

2) dismount the Information store.

3) run eseutil.exe /d on the priv1.edb file

4) mount the information store.

I'm really scared about dismounting the store... could i be causing serious damage by dismounting the store or by trying to defrag it?

Tamir from Melbourne Australia (originally from Givatayim Israel)

Re: defrag question

Tamir, you got the command right. Make sure you perform a full backup of the entire IS before doing it, and one right AFTER it's done.

Make sure you've got at least 110% free space on the disks (i.e. DB size 10GB? You need at least 11 or 12GB of free space before defraging).

It'll take anywhere from 5 to 8-9 GB per hour, so plan ahead for a possibly long downtime.

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services

thanks daniel,

respect for taking the time to answer me

P.S. If you're ever in melbourne, give us a visit, lunch is on us!!!

Just to clarify, the first half of your post is referring to the HD file defraging, while the second half is exchange itself defraging. Both are called defraging but they are very different operations. Not related at all. Even though the information is correct it makes for a confusing post. Besides, an offline exchange defrag is only called for if you really need to do it, otherwise leave it alone.
        See here , here and here for more info.
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Hi Lior and thanks for your reply.

The reason i thought i needed to defrag the exchange database was because i analyzed my C: drive on the SBS 2003 setup that I have (with the windows defrag tool) and saw that priv1.edb was fragmented:

22 5.17 GB \Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\priv1.edb

Doesn't this mean I need to defrag this file? Will it make any difference if I did?

Doesn't this mean I need to defrag this file?
            yes, using the HD defrag (not eseutil.exe) often times however priv1.edb will not defrag as you may not have enough drive space. Or priv1.edb is under heavy use and cannot spare time to move to a new area of the HD.
            Will it make any difference if I did?
            If you eventually do get it contiguous then you may see a slight improvement in exchange but in reality not enough to make a difference.

This link has some good basic info on what HD defraging is all about, it looks a bit dated but its relevant nontheless.

If it aint broke don't fix it
            "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Hey Lior,

As I said in my first post, the first time I ran a windows defrag on the C: drive, i got tons of errors in the event log from the Exchange (i'm assuming because it was trying to use the priv1.edb file but it couldnt' because defrag was trying to move it).

I understand now what you are saying. So let me ask you this: How do i defrag the C: drive without interrupting the Exchange server or without getting all these errors again? Should I dismount the Information store and then run the defrag so it can move the priv1.edb file without huring the exchange?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer me.

Dismounting the information store will definitely interrupt (wont hurt) exchange. email will be down for the duration of that excersise, if you choose to go that way. Make sure you understand that if you are hell bent on getting it defraged.

The most sure way of getting it defraged is botting into safe mode (F8 ) and then running defrag. I am not recommending this but if you insist.......and yes email and everything else too will be down.