Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does it take to install and configure Microsoft Exchange Server 2003?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How long does it take to install and configure Microsoft Exchange Server 2003?

    Hi all ^^,

    I hope this is the right forum to ask my questions.

    Company where I work at wants to use Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 as our mail server and utilize the active sync to receive/send emails on mobile devices. Currently we use a hosting company for our website and email.

    The way it works is we are going to install and configure windows server 2003 and exchange server 2003 in our box then bring this box to the hosting company.

    What I would like to know is how long does it take to install and configure everything before we bring our box to the hosting company? I am the only one responsible for all installations and configurations and I have no experience in installing exchange server 2003 nor configure windows server 2003 to be suitable for exchange server 2003.

    What's the learning curve of exchange server 2003 ? The reason I ask is because my boss needs to know how long to get everything done and I can't give a specific answer like 1 month, 2months , etc as I have no experience in installing this before . I did some reasearches using google but can't find any information regarding time required.

    Thank you in advance ,


    Randy

  • #2
    Re: How long does it take to install and configure Microsoft Exchange Server 2003?

    time wise, it doesnt take long. i did a side job and set up a full AD with GPOs, an Exchange server including OWA, OMA.. a SQL database on the exchange server for archiving emails and a veritas backup for both boxes in 6 hours...

    the time required to set all this up can be greatly reduced by downloading all the SPs for exchange, 2003, and SQL before you start. most of the time is waiting... good thing when i did this side job it was at a bar. got some good eats and a few brews while i was waiting to clcik next... seared ahi tuna and a Stella. mmmm..

    are you on a domain? if so, setup 2003 first and make sure the addition of the new server replicates to all other DCs... then the Exchange.. blah, blah...

    it would help if i had a better understanding of what your trying to accomplish. is this just an email server, or do you need to maitain an active connection with this server?

    so a raw set up with the SPs downloaded should only be about 5 hours at the max...

    the records may take longer to update than the server install imo.

    ***EDIT***
    What's the learning curve of exchange server 2003 ? The reason I ask is because my boss needs to know how long to get everything done and I can't give a specific answer like 1 month, 2months , etc as I have no experience in installing this before . I did some reasearches using google but can't find any information regarding time required.
    i took the 2400b course in mid march. the exchange server was operational by the first week of april, the security settings were refined, the GAL was modified, alot of petri-tips were applied (logon to OWA witout doamin format, edit SMTP banner...) by mid april, the MX record was put up the first week of may...

    its taken twice as long to migrate the users from groupwise to the exchange server. so the learning curve can be quick assuming you can learn quick. you wont master it ever, but you can become more than proficent in less than a months time.
    Last edited by James Haynes; 8th September 2006, 16:02.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: How long does it take to install and configure Microsoft Exchange Server 2003?

      Hello

      Thx for the fast reply

      Originally posted by James Haynes
      are you on a domain? if so, setup 2003 first and make sure the addition of the new server replicates to all other DCs... then the Exchange.. blah, blah...
      This is basically a new server(DELL PowerEdge 2850) so I need to install and configure server 2003 first before installing and configuring exchange server 2003. I don't know much either about server 2003 ( still need to read up how to set up everythign on server 2003 for exchange 2003)

      Originally posted by James Haynes
      is this just an email server, or do you need to maitain an active connection with this server?
      What do you mean by maintaining an active connection with the server ? Sry, I am really new about this

      Originally posted by James Haynes
      i took the 2400b course in mid march. the exchange server was operational by the first week of april, the security settings were refined, the GAL was modified, alot of petri-tips were applied (logon to OWA witout doamin format, edit SMTP banner...) by mid april, the MX record was put up the first week of may...
      Does the 2400b course help you a lot in installing/configuring/managing/understanding Exchange 2003?

      Originally posted by James Haynes
      its taken twice as long to migrate the users from groupwise to the exchange server. so the learning curve can be quick assuming you can learn quick. you wont master it ever, but you can become more than proficent in less than a months time.
      so it takes approx 2-3 weeks to be more than proficient for exchange server 2003 alone and maybe 1/2 weeks for server 2003 ? is that reasonable ?

      Thank you

      randy

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: How long does it take to install and configure Microsoft Exchange Server 2003?

        I think you have 2 options:
        1. Contract someone who sets up Exchange on a regular basis
        2. Do a shit load of study and hope you don't get any problems during install or configuration.

        If you choose option 2, then I would strenously suggest you purchase at least Train Signal - Exchange 2003. You should allow a minimum of 1 month of learning and playing (that's 8 to 10 hours per day minimum) with a lab setup before you try to "real" installation. The lab play is VERY important. Remember this is your company's email and you will be VERY unpopular if it don't work!! Be in not doubt, this is a huge project you are looking at. I base this on you revealing that Windows 2003 Server is also not really known either.

        Lastly, what sort of mobile devices are you using? If memory serves me correct, from reading these forums there are some mobile devices that don't like to sync with Exchange all that well. I'm sure there are Exchange specialists reading this who can confirm or refute this claim.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: How long does it take to install and configure Microsoft Exchange Server 2003?

          Originally posted by biggles77
          I think you have 2 options:
          1. Contract someone who sets up Exchange on a regular basis
          2. Do a shit load of study and hope you don't get any problems during install or configuration.

          If you choose option 2, then I would strenously suggest you purchase at least Train Signal - Exchange 2003. You should allow a minimum of 1 month of learning and playing (that's 8 to 10 hours per day minimum) with a lab setup before you try to "real" installation. The lab play is VERY important. Remember this is your company's email and you will be VERY unpopular if it don't work!! Be in not doubt, this is a huge project you are looking at. I base this on you revealing that Windows 2003 Server is also not really known either.

          Lastly, what sort of mobile devices are you using? If memory serves me correct, from reading these forums there are some mobile devices that don't like to sync with Exchange all that well. I'm sure there are Exchange specialists reading this who can confirm or refute this claim.
          Yes, this is a huge project for me since I don't know much about server 2003 and my boss is rushing me to get this done by October 1st which is somewhat unrealistic for me since I don't know anything about server 2003 to begin with and let alone exchange 2003. Hopefully, he will extend the deadline once I explain more details about these whole process.

          We are using blackberry and palm treo 650. I am aware that there are some mobile devices that don't like to sync and I think that blackberry and palm treo 650 are some of them since they have their own OS so I am going to research about this matter too.

          RandyAIC

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: How long does it take to install and configure Microsoft Exchange Server 2003?

            If he wants it done by October 1, then you will really need to bring in an outside specialist. That way is gets done right first time, everything works, you don't get any grief lumped on you AND you get to see what he does and how he does it.

            If you try to do it in the time frame you are going to be badly stressed and you will become the most hated person in the office cause things won't work.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

            Comment


            • #7
              Installation wont be a long and time consuming process, well importing existing users from old exchange databse to new 1 and making it stable is the key job
              ..But wont be too difficult if you go through TechNet article's i guess. ...Setting permissions and blah blah blah..... Microsoft made those technologies easy to use to admin's. So it wont be too difficult... Linux servers r time consuming and makes me
              angree..Hehe
              All in 1
              Solaris,Linux & Windows admin + networking.

              Comment

              Working...
              X