Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mail Filtering product

Hello to All,

I am looking for an Exchange product that will allow me to filter internal and external mail using regular expressions. I would like to then put this mail into a private folder that I can review. I can't spend a lot of money to do it either. I have been looking at Nemx and it can do this for external mail but not internal mail. It costs about $1000 and that is around my price range.

The point of this is to scan users' mail for keywords to pickup jokes, chain letters, confidential company information, or other types of improper mail usage.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
    David
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training
    TrainSignalTraining.com - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: HappyRouter.com & VMwareVideos.com

Re: Mail Filtering product

We use an external company for this. They get all our mail first, check for spam, viruses, key words etc... then its goes to our exchange servers.

They are called EMF and they are in the UK. Not sure how much we pay them but it is per mailbox/address that is checked.
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

ha, i was looking for the same thing, from a different angle, and would love to be able to use GFI. The standard suite here, has two types of archiving options. Or the full featured Archiver has even more features. GFI is awesome. The prices are good too. Unfortunatly my client has a budget of zero

Also I would invite sarahgfi to comment
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Thanks to those who posted.

I would like something internal that I install on my mailserver, if possible.

If there is a GFI tool to do what I am looking for, that might work. I will look at GFI to see.

Thanks
        David

Comment

David,

The tool you will be loking for is GFi Mail Essentials.

Whilst i don't use it in my current place of work i have used it and it does exactly what you want.

More info here

http://www.gfi.com/mes/

Comment

I agree, GFi Mail Essentials is pretty good.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

David,
              Nemx can handle the internal exchange email content using regular expressions, dictionaries, thesaurus, and other techniques. You may been looking at the Perimeter Edition which does only inbound/outbound. Take a look at the Corporate Edition of SecurExchange.

Comment

My Experience

Sunbelt Software's IHateSpam and Ninja
                IHateSpam: (No Longer Supported)
                We bought IHateSpam for Exchange 2000 and it worked very well. We had been using Trend Micro's ScanMail for antivirus and attachment blocking for 4 years so it seemed like a good fit, being the product was entirely spam focused. It caught most spam and false positives were very low. It allowed me to put users in various groups based on how strict their rules needed to be. It had w/b list, automatic updates etc. I thought my spam issues were over. This lasted almost a year and I had almost forgot what spam was.

Ninja:
                Ninja was the replacement for IHateSpam that tired to do everything. Spam, antivirus and attachment blocking are now built in together. It still has all of the features the IHateSpam had, plus more, tons more in fact. What it failed to do was run reliably. It would work for a while, then stop picking up new mail out of the SMTP queue and because of its integration into the Exchange, restarting exchange was the best way to resolve it. Unfortunately restarting an email server is a black eye for IT. I would rather have spam than have mail stop or reboot the server.

Other issues, the interface is slow and clunky and no nearly as intuitive as it could be but its passable I suppose. Also, it has lots of reports, none of them worth printing.

Further, their tech support is slow to respond and their KB never seemed to have any information regarding my issues. At one point I believe they had me running a pre-GA version because when I contacted support, they sounded a little shocked at the version number I gave them.

Basically its so bad that our company owns licensing and support and we wont use it anymore.

TrendMicro ScanMail
                As I said above, we had used Trend for years and it was very reliable. When we moved to our new Exchange 2003 server, it was time to upgrade to the latest Antivirus software and since Ninja had let us down so badly, I thought we could really on it to do our spam stuff as well.

The best part about ScanMail was the interface was fast. Thats about all the good I have to say about that. Antivirus is still fine but they have messed up attachment blocking something fierce. For instance, one day, without anyone making any changes, it decided to block all attachments and send email to everybody about it, my phone lit up like a Christmas tree. I unselected and reselected "enable file blocking" and it was all back to normal.
                As for spam, it had some configurability in it but noting like I was used to with IHateSpam. The best way to describe it was Virus first, Spam as an afterthought so they could put it on the product sheet.

Support took days respond and did not understand clear questions I asked, giving answers that did not apply.

My favorite part, they saved us from themselves, we tried to buy this product from one of their resellers and it blocked the email with the license (even though it let plenty of other stuff through). So I told my boss to get us a refund.

BitDefender for Exchange
                This product seems like a decent antivirus but there is no attachment blocking and the antispam is the worst so far. It does not have a folder for spam and global rule that move it there. It has no end user configuration, it only tags the message subject and/or header with a score. As an example, it recommends a score of 90 as a default. At 90 it is only tagging 50% of our spam with no false positives. At 40 it is tagging 80% of our spam and 20% false positives. That still leaves about 50 spam messages a day getting to the inbox (from one or two with IHateSpam) and they have to go in and look at their junk mail all the time.

Summary
                I think what it comes down to is companies loosing their focus (or having market research do their product planning for them). Instead of building the perfect spam weapon (or antivirus), they built products that don't do anything well and are not really even worth running.

I still have not found a product worth buying and it makes me sick. EDIT, But I am investigating GFI now

Chris
                Last edited by HyperSprite; 16th February 2007, 05:55.

Comment

I haven't try different product so I don't really know too much. But I do use a mail filtering from Symantec. It does a good job of blocking anything I want and I can see a log of what rejected, dropped, and from who.

My license is almost expired, maybe I try GFI because it recommended by the MOD(hope it is not more expensive than Symantec)
                  Last edited by tsquid; 16th February 2007, 17:03.

Comment

We use GFI MailEssentials (GREAT!!!) and also an external company called Postini. Postini does a fantastic job and the reporting is unbelievable, down to the amount of spam/legit emails per minute, what viruses were blocked, who they were going to, and tons of other stuff.

We had GFI before and still run it as a second filter. It also does mail archiving, mail monitoring and custom disclaimers. It also does keyword checking.

I have mail monitoring rules set up so that any email received by a choice set of groups, get also forwarded to public folders for the department supervisors to monitor.

We use CA etrust internally for viruses.

Feel free to ask for any more info.

Marc
                    Last edited by tnshurtm; 16th February 2007, 18:41.
                    Thank you,

Marc

Comment

Excellent, Thanks to everyone to helped out with this question!!

Comment

Working...
                      X