Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recover deleted emails of another user

Hello,
    I am familiar with the recovery of deleted emails for myself as a user, however if I add another users mailbox (see below)to my list of mailboxes I cannot use the recover deleted items feature. Anybody have any ideas on how to do this, without alerting the user. I do have Admin rights and all that and this is Exchange 2003.
    -Lior
    Attached Files
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Re: recover deleted emails of another user

before anyone jumps in and says "backup tapes", these are emails that are deleted quickly after they are received and do not stay overnight, yep those kind of emails....
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

If you have full rights over the user's mailbox then why dont you create a new Outlook profile and open their account that way. You will have access to their deleted items and you can recover them as well

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

excellent, that works, however it recovers to their mailbox, if they are in as well they will see emails that they deleted come back. while not perfect it will works for me for now.

Comment

You could always drag the recovered emails into a Public Folder and then drag them into your Outlook profile from there. Bit messy but it also keeps it covert from the offending L user.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S
            excellent, that works, however it recovers to their mailbox, if they are in as well they will see emails that they deleted come back. while not perfect it will works for me for now.
            I wonder if this will work...

Open thier outlook profile and add you mailbox as an additional mailbox. Then recover the deleted items and then you can instantly move it into your mailbox.

or Biggles's idea will work as well

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

biggles-

actually what i did was drag the email straight to my desktop...but you have to do it quick to get it out of the deleted items folder, just in case they happen to be in that folder as well

Comment

I get the feeling you're not wanting the user to know you're recovering the deleted emails. You could configure that user's email to be forwarded to another box as well as delivered to the user. That way you'd have record of emails received. But if you're looking to get record of "sent mail", "Calendar", etc, it obviously wouldn't work for that.
                Attached Files
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Michael-

thats is an even better idea....I like it.

Comment

If you dont trust your users configure the archive feature. Every mail sent to / from the exchange organisation will be copied to a designated mailbox which you can then filter for the user in question

Michael

I like covert ops
                    Michael Armstrong
                    www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Quick note:

If you have full mbx rights on their mailboxes, open OWA to the following URL:

http://server/exchange/username/fold...md=showdeleted

(folder name = inbox, calendar, so on)
                      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm
                        If you dont trust your users configure the archive feature. Every mail sent to / from the exchange organisation will be copied to a designated mailbox which you can then filter for the user in question

Michael

I like covert ops
                        Michael-
                        I have looked around i have not found any info on an archive feature is this a MS product or third party? It sound ecactly like what i want.
                        -Lior

Comment

Originally posted by danielp
                          Quick note:

If you have full mbx rights on their mailboxes, open OWA to the following URL:

http://server/exchange/username/fold...md=showdeleted

(folder name = inbox, calendar, so on)
                          This worked perfectly, but i had a hard time moving the emails out quietly.
                          This is a covert operation...must be careful .

Comment

Be vewy vewy quiet, we're hunting emails.
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S
                              Michael-
                              I have looked around i have not found any info on an archive feature is this a MS product or third party? It sound ecactly like what i want.
                              -Lior
                              http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...ournaling.html

Follow the 'Standard' procedure, dont think you need the advanced one.

In a correction to what I said before this will work for all mails sent to / from a mailbox store, not the organisation as I said before. So if you have two mailbox stores then you will need to configure it twice.

Michael
                              Michael Armstrong
                              www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X