Reverting an Exchange Server to a Member Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverting an Exchange Server to a Member Server

I have inherited a network where the previous manager made every server a DC, including the Exchange server. This is now causing me an number of problems and I want to try to DCPROMO the Exchange box to demote it back to a member server. I know this is not recommended, so I am looking at exploring ways of doing it without breaking OWA etc

Tentative Plan:
    UnPROMO another server to a member server
    Install Exchange on that server
    Migrate mailboxes and PFs over
    Sort out firewalls, port forwarding etc.
    Remove Exchange from current server

Can anyone see any major flaws with that?
    All advice gratefully appreciated!

Oh, then I have a TS server that the id10t also made into a DC, but that for another topic!

Thanks in advance
    Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Reverting an Exchange Server to a Member Server

Thats the way we had to do it in my last company. Exchange had to be removed before you could demote the server.

No other ways I can think of doing it.

Ours went smootly so it shouldn't be a problem.

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
    X