Can't add Exchange account to Outlook [was: Exchange 2003 Woes]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't add Exchange account to Outlook [was: Exchange 2003 Woes]

Hey guys... ok When trying to connect Outlook 2003 to exchange 2003 I get this following message

The specified device, file, or path could not be accessed. It may have been deleted, it may be in use, you may be experiencing network problems, or you may not have sufficient permission to access it. Close any application using this file and try again.

This happens when I am trying to add the email exchange server in the email accounts applet. I put the correct Microsoft exchange Server name in and the correct username and when I click on Check name I get the above message.

Any suggestions?

Re: Can't add Exchange account to Outlook [was: Exchange 2003 Woes]

Can you ping the server fine?

Double check to ensure your using the correct username!

Can you access the mailboc via OWA? (http://servername/exchange)?

I can't remember if you can access an account via a MAPI (Outlook) client before the mailbox has been initialised or not. In order to initialise an account you need to send a mail to it from any other account, after that it will appear in the mailbox store. Try adding the account again through the mail applet.

Perfrom all these tasks and get back to us.

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Yes all of these things can be done. The message I stated is what I get when I try to resolve my username on the exchange server itself. If I go to a client machine, The message is that username can't be resolved. This is a new installation, I have no data to save so I won't be opposed to deleteing the store and trying again.

Comment

I remembered something that I did which might have caused this issue. Basically I had a local domain called abc.com on a Windows 2000 server. I built a Windows 2003 server and renamed the domain abc.local. I installed exchange 2003 and set up my mailboxes. (not many, small domain) I wanted to move the mailboxes from my old domain to my new domain and I used MSBACKUP and backed up the information store from the Windows 2000 server and tried to restore it to the Windows 2003 server (both running MS Exchange 2003). That failed and I determined that we didnít need to save any of the old email. I deleted and recreated a new information store and now weíre in the situation where Outlook canít resolve the username with the server. Maybe I screwed up the workings with Active Directory?

Comment

Update. Apparently Outlook 2003 is not supported running on the same servers running Exchange Server 2003 which seems to be the case with this server however Iíve always gotten it to work on all other servers Iíve configured. Have you any tricks or tips on how to get this to work?

Comment

Working...
          X