Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to map Exchange 2003 mailbox to another user account?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to map Exchange 2003 mailbox to another user account?

Hope someone can help me on this cos I'm kinda stumped.

Here's the situation, currently there are two domains in seperate trees within the same forest. Let's call them domain A and domain B. The Exchange 2003 servers are residing in domain A, which is also the forest root. But the users accessing this belong to domain B. Therefore, they are authenticating to domain B for windows and another time to domain A for mail. The user accounts are similar between the two domains. In other words, the mailboxes are linked to user accounts in domain A.

I need to kind of "re-map" the mailboxes to be linked to users in domain B instead as users want to have a single sign on whenever they access mails. My question is, can this be done? Any help at all is greatly appreciated!!

Re: How to map Exchange 2003 mailbox to another user account?

Since both your domains are in the same forest you are lucky.
    Users form domain B can have mailbox on the exchange server member of domain A. You don't have to create separate accounts in A.
    What you have to do is to prepare domain B acordingly. (Run the Exchange server setup with domainprep option setup /domainprep).
    Regards,
    Csaba Papp
    MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
    Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Re: How to map Exchange 2003 mailbox to another user account?

Thanks for replying!

But the situation is that user accounts already exist in domain A. Thats why a user needs to authenticate twice. Once with his domain B for windows and a second time with domain A for exchange. 2 sets of identical user accounts. Yes, dumb but true.

So the plan they want is to retain the exchange servers in domain A but re-home the mailboxes to the user account in domain B.

I'm thinking of doing this, not sure if it'll work:

1. Set permissions on the mailboxes in domain A to allow access from users in domain B

2. Run Exchange domainprep in domain B

3. Use the "remove exchange attributes" for the mailboxes in domain A and orphan them

4. Re-connect the mailboxes to user accounts in domain B

Any comments?

Comment

Working...
      X