Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Relaying Denied. Ip Lookup failed for ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relaying Denied. Ip Lookup failed for ...

Hi all

I've just installed a new Exchange 2k3 server with sp2 onto a test machine to take it for a test drive but am having a few problems sending emails to the outside world.

Below is a copy of the NDR that bounces back to me (names and addresses changed to protect the innocent)

==Start==
    Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Test
    Sent: 04/09/2006 10:23

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

[email protected] on 04/09/2006 16:14
    You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator.
    <email.mycompany.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 <[email protected]>... Relaying denied. IP name lookup failed [1.2.3.4]>

== END ==

Where 1.2.3.4 is the actual private IP address of my exchange server.

I've looked all I can at the DNS Settings and nothing seems out of line. I have a revernse DNS for the server, fully qualified hostname, MX record for the Private IP address.

I'm just totally stuck.

I can't find a thing on the internet about this so if anybody could help it would be appreciated

Kind Regards

Lee

Re: Relaying Denied. Ip Lookup failed for ...

Originally posted by [email protected]
    .... MX record for the Private IP address.
    I hope you ment the external address?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Re: Relaying Denied. Ip Lookup failed for ...

Nope - did actually mean the internal IP address - was trying everything and one thing I read was the MX record needed to be set.

Have removed it and it's still the same.

Don't actually need the MX record for it at this point though as it's just a test server running through a smart host.

Found the problem! D'oh me!

My smart host access table didn't have the new server Ip in to allow it to relay!!

Yay - working!

Comment

Re: Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing your answer with us! I'm sure others will also benefit from knowing what was wrong and how you fixed it.

Also, I'm not sure from your post, but could it be that you're using a smart host on the SMTP VS? If you are, that is a NO NO! You need to do that on an SMTP Connector, and NOT on the VS. If it's not the case then disregard my comment.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
        X