Linux Forum?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Forum?

Do you think that there could be a Linux forum?
    Yes, you might justly argue that this is a windows only site, but what about virtual machines? Not very many people run (or want to run) two different versions of Windows on one computer, so the other is (usually) Linux.
    Or even just for the sake of diversifying I am sure there are many here who would gladly welcome a Linux forum.

One of the reasons why I like the petri forums is that they don't insist upon your being a certain age .
    Yes, I am only 15, but I hope that will not invalidate my query.

Re: Linux Forum?

Linux is indeed an importand factor we need to consider. However, the question is what will bring Linux fanss to this Windows-only website? We don't have any Linux gurus hanging around, and there won't be any unless the site changes its main objectives. That won't happen in the near future.

So to start a Linux forum with no serious questions and no serious guru to answer? I think not.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Linux is indeed an importand factor we need to consider. However, the question is what will bring Linux fans to this Windows-only website? We don't have any Linux gurus hanging around, and there won't be any unless the site changes its main objectives. That won't happen in the near future.

So to start a Linux forum with no serious questions and no serious guru to answer? I think not.
      #1. Who will bring Linux fans to this Windows-only website? I will.
      #2.Linux "gurus" hanging around? Answered by #1.
      #3.There will be serious questions, and there will be dead serious Linux "gurus" to answer.

The majority of Windows users are quite serious. Whatever makes you think Linux users won't?

H.B.

Comment

And we have Guy with his RHCE
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

My 2 pence worth

I don't see the need for a linux forum here. This is a Microsoft site for help with Microsoft systems and as far as i know always will be.

Linux is very well supported throughout the web and i feel that it would be difficult bringing Linux users here.

This is just my tuppence mind and i don't mean to offend.

Comment

Originally posted by danielp
            We don't have any Linux gurus hanging around
            You are dead meat ! No more Guinness for you !

P.S.: Will answer emails at weekend - damn tough week at work. Probably the damn heat is driving the clients crazy (was over 40C/110F degrees over here two days ago).
            Guy Teverovsky
            "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

What Guinness?
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

O.K. I admit defeat; windows (and D.Petri) wins.
                Linux can stay to themselves, and Windows will evidently do likewise.

H.B.
                Last edited by Hugo; 8th June 2006, 18:58.

Comment

It's not a win or lose situation. I simply don't think a Linux forum will bring any benefit to our community right now.

But thanks for the offer though.
                  Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

yes;

Comment

What could be relevant is a forum focusing on Linux/Unix interoperability with Windows/AD (samba, MIT Kerberos + AD, SSO, etc..)

Daniel ? Thoughts ?
                      Guy Teverovsky
                      "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

After viewing the link Guy provided for TechWack 2006 (and I watched more than from 14:55) and seeing Linux running on VS (and other O/S) maybe it is worth a bit more thought/discussion/consideration/etc about a Linux forum. Maybe a subsection under the Virtualization Forum and if proved popular expand it. If not........
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by guyt
                          What could be relevant is a forum focusing on Linux/Unix interoperability with Windows/AD (samba, MIT Kerberos + AD, SSO, etc..)
                          Originally posted by biggles77
                          After viewing the link Guy provided for TechWack 2006 (and I watched more than from 14:55) and seeing Linux running on VS (and other O/S) maybe it is worth a bit more thought/discussion/consideration/etc about a Linux forum. Maybe a subsection under the Virtualization Forum and if proved popular expand it. If not........
                          IMHO both are good ideas as both are good ways to expand the helpfulness of the site, as well as to test out the waters, so to speak.
                          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                          X