No announcement yet.

Forum Software Upgrades

This is a sticky topic.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Software Upgrades

As most are aware, the Petri forums have been running successfully for many years but the board software is beginning to show its age, not to mention having a number of issues.

The board owners and staff (moderators and admins) are discussing upgrading the forums to more recent software, with key aims of
    a) Keeping all existing history, accounts etc
    b) Offering more functionality and fixing current bugs and issues.

At the moment no decisions have been taken on either the timescale for the upgrade nor on the forum software to use.

This is YOUR chance to have a say in the process by
    1) Recommending suitable software you have experience of
    2) Requesting features the "new-and-improved" forums could have
    3) Giving any other suggestions or comments

Remember this is NOT for "my software is better than your software" flames - the aim is to improve the forum experience for everyone.

If recommending particular products or add-ins, please give a link. New posters who cannot post URLs can add links with spaces or symbols, e.g. replace . with (dot)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Forum Software Upgrades

I'd like to be able to see who has awarded reputation points. I've had at least one private message delivered this way but was unable to respond to that or thank those who award the points because I have no idea who they are.

I'd like to be able to create a favourites list for really useful threads. Petri is a goldmine of useful information. While the search is OK, a personal favourites list would be invaluable.

I'd like to see the 'breadcrumb' trail at the bottom of each page as well as the top. It would make site navigation that much easier.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: Forum Software Upgrades

I do not know much about forum software or administration, so the only "meaningful" advice I could give would be a statement of the fairly obvious assumption that upgrading to the newest version of vBulletin should (in theory) provide a smoother and more worry-free upgrade path than switching to an entirely new system. Assuming that this assumption is accurate (I love the English language), I would think that there would have to be some pretty compelling reasons to convince you guys to migrate over to a completely different system.

(Can you tell that I am not a fan of radical change? )

If you do decide to stick with vBulletin, then I would ask you to consider the add-on I mentioned and linked to in an earlier post regarding the ability to set a default font for your posts in your profile. It isn't a big deal, but I figured I would mention it.

Originally posted by Ksuvi Khor
        vBulletin should (in theory) provide a smoother and more worry-free upgrade path
        I agree completely and wish it would happen but have you ever had a trouble free software upgrade? Going from vB3 to vB5 (remember that we skipped vB4) has been a challenge due to some of the plug-ins on vB3 not working on vB5. Obviously we are working on this plus finding other anomalies that may raise their unwelcome head. This is why we greatly appreciate the feedback from all our Members.

There was quite a search for an appropriate platform to upgrade too and vB5 seemed to be the best option for us that was found. As for font preference that may be a plug-in that can be applied if there is one out there.

Thank you for your feedback!
        Departed: 23rd December 2015

Popular choice for most users is usually a 'Shoutbox' - tend to bring the community together a little more. Obviously there would have to be rules implemented.

+1 for vBulletin