Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please create Linux discussion in this forum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Please create Linux discussion in this forum

    Dear folks,

    Now a days, Linux is emerging rapidly and becoming more popular in the midst of IT Managers, System Administrators, IT Engineers, and computer professionals.

    My kind request is that, please add a Linux discussion forum here and it would be really appreciable.

    Thanks and regards,

    Rizwan.

  • #2
    Re: Please create Linux discussion in this forum

    Originally posted by rizin View Post
    Dear folks,

    Now a days, Linux is emerging rapidly and becoming more popular in the midst of IT Managers, System Administrators, IT Engineers, and computer professionals.

    My kind request is that, please add a Linux discussion forum here and it would be really appreciable.

    Thanks and regards,

    Rizwan.
    Has been discussed before and it was determined to use the Misc forum.

    There is not enough demand on this forum for a dedicated linux forum.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Please create Linux discussion in this forum

      There is also the "Open Source" forum which, IIRC, is the preferred place for Linux and related issues
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Please create Linux discussion in this forum

        I would also love to see a Linux section! I would create the demand
        David Silvester
        Systems Administrator

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Please create Linux discussion in this forum

          Originally posted by davids355 View Post
          I would also love to see a Linux section! I would create the demand
          Please use the Misc or Open Source sections.

          We do not have enough traffic foe dedicated linux forums.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Please create Linux discussion in this forum

            Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
            Please use the Misc or Open Source sections.

            We do not have enough traffic foe dedicated linux forums.
            No problem. I already posted a Linux question today in misc section after I read this thread

            Have any plans for it in the future? Or any metric to judge if and when it does become viable?
            David Silvester
            Systems Administrator

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Please create Linux discussion in this forum

              Do a Forum Search for Linux questions and I think you will answer your own question.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Please create Linux discussion in this forum

                Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                Do a Forum Search for Linux questions and I think you will answer your own question.
                Fair enough. I had noticed the forum was mainly windows
                David Silvester
                Systems Administrator

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Please create Linux discussion in this forum

                  There really isn't the volume of questions to warrant a Linux Forum all for itself. Hence my suggestion to have a look as see how few questions we actually get.

                  As Tom suggested and you followed up with, post them in the Misc Forum and I would suggest starting the thread title with LINUX - name of problem in an attempt to draw more attention to the question.

                  Oh yes, are you up late or am I up early......?
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Please create Linux discussion in this forum

                    Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    There really isn't the volume of questions to warrant a Linux Forum all for itself. Hence my suggestion to have a look as see how few questions we actually get.

                    As Tom suggested and you followed up with, post them in the Misc Forum and I would suggest starting the thread title with LINUX - name of problem in an attempt to draw more attention to the question.
                    I understand, I was just being pedantic.
                    Thanks for the advice though, I'll add LINUX to future questions in the MISC section.
                    David Silvester
                    Systems Administrator

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Please create Linux discussion in this forum

                      Don't think I can edit the title of my previous question though...
                      David Silvester
                      Systems Administrator

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Please create Linux discussion in this forum

                        As was answered by my colleagues, there is simply not enough push towards Linux questions on THIS forum and domain, as originally, the petri.co.il site never really had anything to do with penguins... That means that nobody will ever come to this site/forums to look for answers to Linux questions.

                        The same was decided about opening a MAC forum, and frankly, even the SQL forums that were eventually opened are not really there.
                        Cheers,

                        Daniel Petri
                        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Please create Linux discussion in this forum

                          Originally posted by danielp View Post
                          As was answered by my colleagues, there is simply not enough push towards Linux questions on THIS forum and domain, as originally, the petri.co.il site never really had anything to do with penguins... That means that nobody will ever come to this site/forums to look for answers to Linux questions.

                          The same was decided about opening a MAC forum, and frankly, even the SQL forums that were eventually opened are not really there.
                          MAC? ... I just threw up.
                          No thats fair enough, its sensible to have some boundaries on the scope of the website otherwise it would get silly I guess.

                          Having said that, I am sure that a lot of your traffic comes directly from the search engines, so people wouldn't necessarily need to associate petril.co.il with linux in order to make use of articles on it regarding linux.

                          Anyway, I am only a linux noob so I dont even know why I am trying to promote it so heavily!

                          And please don't mistake my enthusiasm for argumentativeness, I am just trying to get involved
                          David Silvester
                          Systems Administrator

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Please create Linux discussion in this forum

                            ...But I am going to post hundreds of Linux threads in MISC over the next 12 months (if you don't mind), and maybe by January 2015 there will have been an increase in linux talk and then you might create a forum for it).
                            David Silvester
                            Systems Administrator

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Please create Linux discussion in this forum

                              That's no problem - but I suggest that (purely for self defence if nothing else) you hunt around for dedicated Linux forums too - it comes down to expertise, and knowing when to NOT say something
                              Tom Jones
                              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

                              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X