Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for new forums

Hi all,
    There are a few forums that might be cool to have on here for users of the community to talk about different things. One is a forum for the discussion of .net languages, code, and troubleshooting of code (C# and VB), and the other is having to do with ASP.net and IIS administration. I think that having these topics added to the already fantastic list would be awesome.

Re: Suggestions for new forums

Personally coding is a bit outside the scope of the forum (aside from the scripting forums we already have). Not sure if IIS would need its own forum. Don't recall seeing a ton of them here.

I'd like to see more higher level IT stuff, like more policy talks, or high level steps to set up a new company's infrastructure, or the best way to do backups under various scenarios. Some of those ideas are probably best as single articles, others could be forums, or at least brought up more often in the Misc area.
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Second that... A bit of ASP and ASP.net along with a touch of webbie stuff would be great. I dont do a lot myself but there has been occasion where I attempted to have a go and got stuck.

Comment

I would tend to agree with Wired - coding etc is not something that is often asked. Most of the IIS stuff I see tends to be Exchange based, and is already covered by the Exchange forums.

I do like the idea of a policy/best practices/design type forum or group of forums though.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Oh. I see. My mistake then. But if I did have an ASP.net administration question that had nothing to do with exchange, or IIS question, could I put it in the Misc area?

Comment

Yes!
            Policy Forum++
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I second that! That will help me, seeing that I'm an absolute moron when it comes to group policy. I have a server at home, but that doesn't mean that I have free reign to set up a domain controller there. Even just to practice, my parents wouldn't like having to report to me every time they wanted to log onto one of their laptops, or their desktop workstation for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Chromebuster View Post
                I second that! That will help me, seeing that I'm an absolute moron when it comes to group policy. I have a server at home, but that doesn't mean that I have free reign to set up a domain controller there. Even just to practice, my parents wouldn't like having to report to me every time they wanted to log onto one of their laptops, or their desktop workstation for that matter.
                We already have a Group Policy Forum, the suggestion was for a forum related to IT Policies from a less technical perspective. E.g. acceptable use policies, data retention policies etc. Assuming I understood Wired's intentions correctly.
                BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Good thinking, and I do apologize for misunderstanding. That would be good too since I'm not good with exceptional use policies either. I'll have to work on that.

Comment

Sounds like you need to setup a VM and start playing. That way your Home Server doesn't get confused and if you mess up your VMs you can delete it and recreate a new one.

Also, did you know the Domain Controller was related to the Fat Controller?
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sorry, but thanks for the suggestion, but no can do. Accessibility with screen readers is kind of out of the question, and since my server's already live. That is a role that I will be having when I have a family of my own though. I pretty much guarantee that no kids living in my house will have free reign LOL.

Comment

We already have forum for VB scripts and Ms Excel commands?
                        where we can share our ideas and gain knowledge
                        Best Regards,
                        Prasad

Comment

I have been searching for an inexpensive way to manage my home wired/wireless environment consisting of 6 PC's including server (glorified Windows XP desktop) and a laptop.

What about OpenSource products and help? I see that there really isn't anything discussing that after I did a search on the topic.

Specifically, I would be looking for OpenSouce software for a home server (Windows XP Professional compatible operating system).

Just a thought!

Comment

OpenSource is such a broad topic. You could start a whole site and still not cover them all. Can you perhaps narrow down what you might be interested in?

Also, under the Other sub-heading there is an Open Source Forum. I know the boss doesn't like them but under Open Source we could have sub Forums about various opensource software. OpenOffice could be one. What others?

tbarre, if you are wanting to get more involved in IT and learn, you may consider a TechNet Subscription as a way to obtain non timebombed Microsoft software. I would suggest the Professional option. You could then get a real Server installed on your network. For a long time I ran mid-range desktops with LOTS of HDD storage and Sufficient RAM for the Server software. Now I have another desktop that has 16GB RAM and is full of Virtual Machines to play with (i can runs SBS 2011 plus a couple of Virtual workstations). Is useful but I wish I had put 32GB RAM in it instead.

Train Signal also have excellent CBTs that can give you Instant Experience on the topic of your choice. They also have Free Online Tutorials so you can see if this is a good way for you to learn.
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
                              Personally coding is a bit outside the scope of the forum (aside from the scripting forums we already have). Not sure if IIS would need its own forum. Don't recall seeing a ton of them here.

I'd like to see more higher level IT stuff, like more policy talks, or high level steps to set up a new company's infrastructure, or the best way to do backups under various scenarios. Some of those ideas are probably best as single articles, others could be forums, or at least brought up more often in the Misc area.
                              I like the idea of a Management Area [IT Policies, Access Levels, etc] and I like the idea of Backup and Archiving. I'm not sure we are ever done with the Backups and archiving strategies as the infrastucture continues to expand.

How about a section for IT Conferences to discuss upcoming events and past events, Costs and strategies for who in the organization should attend (IE: Tech Levels, specialties, etc.) It would be a great way to network beyond the keyboard and get to know others in the community.

Hobie

Comment

Working...
                              X