SAN/NAS Forum?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAN/NAS Forum?

I find myself wondering how many techs we have here who are actively involved in SAN Administration as well. I see a few related posts under Misc.

Would a SAN or NAS forum (possibly a sub-forum under networking) be a good idea? Anyone else interested or working in this environment to justify having it's own forum?

Re: SAN/NAS Forum?

There do seem to be a few more questions about such things appearing these days, and as virtualisation becomes more and more mainstream that'll probably continue.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Or maybe just a storage forum...
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

That would probably make more sense - at the moment such questions seem to go either into Misc or Hardware.
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
          Or maybe just a storage forum...
          A storage forum would be welcome.
          MCITP:EST | MCTS | MCSE 2k3 | MCSA 2k3 | MCP
          A+ Core | ITIL-F

Comment

For the moment, I suggest storage questions go into Hardware, tagged as "Storage:" so that if a forum is created they can easily be moved
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I quite like the idea of a storage forum, there are definitely more questions being asked. We could maybe integrate backups as well, which tend to get asked in Misc unless they relate to a specific product such as Exchange.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

i'd be in for this

san stuff is an area where i could do with more knowledge
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Agree with bringing backups into it, providing it's 3rd party backup software - rants about how useless Windows Server Backup should probably stay in the Server 08 forum though.

Oh NTBackup, how we miss thee
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                    Oh NTBackup, how we miss thee
                    I dunno, wbadmin kinda makes up for it and the byte based incremental image backups roxor.
                    Wesley David
                    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                    -------------------------------
                    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

As VDI and Cloud computing become more and more popular, SAN issues will be more of a factor.

Comment

Working...
                      X