Should we have a Security and Virus forum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we have a Security and Virus forum

Not a lot to say beyond the title really...

With the current spate of viruses and security alerts, I think a forum to highlight and discuss them would be a good idea.

Please vote to express your opinions, and add any replies to discuss this in more detail

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Come on, folks -- 4 votes so far?

Does no-one else have an opinion on this?

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I guess no one really cares. The moment I get 50 votes for yes I'll create the damn forum.

:P
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I wouldn't bother, Daniel,
        Apathy rules OK!

All the best
        Tom
        Tom Jones
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

Comment

Damn shame. This is a really important topic and people don't seem to realise it. I am quite surprised considering that this site is designed with the professional in mind. Maybe nobody will ever be hacked or infected by a virus ever again.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Nah, I think that the people coming here (not the regulars, not us) just don't care. Hell, how hard is it to vote and click?
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

That might depend on which type of web site I am browsing.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

well i think it's an important topic.

think about the following things:

how can i secure my network.
                What can i do against virusattacks.
                witch policies do i really need to set te secure my network.
                Help, my servers are hacked, what do i need to do? couterattack?
                do i need to setup a patchmanagement system?
                why is it recommed to use difficulty passowords?
                how to secure my FTP site?

etcetc.

i gain about 11000 virusses a month (with 150 users) and sometimes it is really hard to harden my network.

oh, what about hardening you're AD and youre servers????

i really think that most of the people don't have any idea how important security is.. (currenly in a project to secure my client so thats why i find out, that i didn't had any clue how important it exually is...)
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber

I really think that most of the people don't have any idea how important security is..
                  I think you have hit it right on the head with that line, I am afraid in my experience some businesses do suffer from: -

1. "It will never happen to us" syndrome.

2. Security? I think (insert name here) deals with that.

3. "Yes, your right" but with budget / staff cuts we just haven't had the time".

...unfortunately we live in the real world. I think it was the [email protected] that bit a lot of Admins in the butt when the patch had already been out for about 4 months before the virus actually hit.

Although you can subscribe to MS's security bulletins and get the info as soon as MS post it, I think a forum on security would still be useful as we all know there is the Microsoft way and the Real way of doing things.

Even if we can collate ideas / URL's in the forum with pointers on where to go, that would be useful.
                  If at first you dont succeed, Google it!

Comment

Poll closed due to popular apathy
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Working...
                    X