Petri forum "badge" to put on blogs or sites

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petri forum "badge" to put on blogs or sites

Various online communities have the ability for their users to have some kind of badge to place on their website that shows their affiliation to the community. Some examples that I am aware of and use on my blog are the SysAdmin-Network and ServerFault.

It would be great if the Petri forums had some kind of badge that allowed participants to show something along the lines of "I'm a Petri member!" with their avatar and maybe reputation, etc. I like to show what communities I'm an active member of and these badges are helpful and also good ways of promotion for the site/forum/community. It seems that vBulletin has some add-ons for this kind of thing. Do others see any value in this or am I the only one?
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Re: Petri forum "badge" to put on blogs or sites

Great idea. I'd love to show my affiliation with Petri. For my money, Petri ranks in the top IT-centric web sites and I'd be proud to show my membership.

Comment

Why not (with Daniel's permission) use the logo at the top left of the forum pages?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Naa, that logo is just ugly
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
          Naa, that logo is just ugly
          I predict a sudden ban in the near future...
          Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Why not (with Daniel's permission) use the logo at the top left of the forum pages?
          That's not quite the same. A badge is more than a logo, it's an active, updated measure of participation at a forum. For those who see it, it shows that the community is alive and not just a logo that may be a click trap to get more advertising dollars.

It's particularly nice when you see someone's post count or reputation (or whatever metric of participation that the forum uses) continually go up (or down, as the case may be) each time they visit. It shows that the person is a participant but more importantly that the community as a whole has life to it.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Nice idea Nonapeptide. Do you happen to have an example we could look at? Or could you make one yourself?
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
              Nice idea Nonapeptide. Do you happen to have an example we could look at? Or could you make one yourself?
              I'm not sure what exactly you call this feature or thing. I use the term "badge" loosely, but I know that the term can also mean different things especially among the vBulletin crowd.

First, I'll mention a few other forums and services that have similar badges. Some that come to my mind are:

The SysAdmin-Network. They have an option to create three different sized badges that show more or less information. It's flash based I think. Also, I think it's a part of the Ning network that the SysAdmin-Network uses, so it's not something that can be re-purposed. It looks like this:

One of my favorite "badges" is ServerFault's. They call it "Flair". Check it out here. You can also see it on my blog in the sidebar. However, I realize that it's a totally different system on the backend and not vBulletin (not by a long shot)

Also, a lot of gaming sites and services have various types of badges. http://www.mygamercard.net/ is an example:

I hacked something together in Photoshop that is a rough draft of what's in my mind concerning a Petri badge or card (yes, it's bad):

The bits of information that seem the most important to include on a "badge" are the signs of participation. "Bragging rights" if you will. Membership length, posts, rep... whatever. You get the idea. It shows participation, life... etc. That's one of the things I'm not a fan of with Ning networks like the SysAdmin-Network; Participation metrics, while tracked on a profile page, don't seem to be as prominent as in other social networks. The badge shows no signs of those numbers.

I tried to search around for vBulletin add-ons that are in this vein but kept getting tripped up with terminology. I couldn't seem to find the right search terms. It's not exactly a badge, it's not exactly an ad, maybe a "card"? I dunno. I created a vBulletin account on their forums in the hopes of asking for advice but found out the hard way that you need a valid license to be a participant.

I'm sure there's something out there for this. Probably several competing somethings.
              Attached Files
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Looks like a fake ID for a stoned kitty

vbulletin.org would be the best place to look for vB mods.
                ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
                  Looks like a fake ID for a stoned kitty
                  The lighting was bad at the vehicle license department!!

Originally posted by Wired View Post
                  vbulletin.org would be the best place to look for vB mods.
                  I've perused the place a bit, but can't participate without being a licensed member. I was hoping to just ask a direct question there since my search has so far been mostly unfruitful.

I'll keep searching.
                  Wesley David
                  LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

You can post in certain areas there w/o having a vB license. If you see some mods that may do what you want, send the links to me in a PM and I'll check them out. Even if they don't do the job I may be able to cobble something together assuming the idea's approved of course

Comment

Okay, I'll put it on my list, but I'm a bit hampered by a move to Arizona that is pending in the next few days and will take up a significant portion of the rest of this month.
                      Wesley David
                      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: Nona[email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Working...
                      X