• Linux Forum

Anyone else think this may be a good idea

Re: Linux Forum

Here we go again...

BTW, where's DYasny gone off to?
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Can't see the need for it, there are so few Linux questions asked in the other forums.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I'd be inclined to agree - after all as Daniel is an MVP the site 'feels' naturally geared towards Microsoft. Given the 'all for one and one for all' spirit of FOSS in general there are loads of forums and newsgroups for pretty much every distribution of Linux, Unix, BSD etc, including several 'official' offerings such as the Ubuntu forum. While a Linux question is often a generic Linux question as opposed to "how can I pot Ubuntu Server to my cellphone in Java" (the actual question I have seen was from someone who wanted to make an OS to rival Windows using Visual FoxPro...) it is always nice to know that the people giving you advice are running a similar setup to you. And to echo what cruachan has already stated, I really haven't noticed that many questions on here relating to Linux.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
          Can't see the need for it, there are so few Linux questions asked in the other forums.
          Subjective. That depends on what forum's you frequent.

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
            Subjective. That depends on what forum's you frequent.
            True, granted I don't read every forum on here. However I do read the misc forum which would normally be the location for Linux questions unless they relate to interoperability with other OSs or to installing them in one of the virtual environments, which also have their own forums.

And as gforceindustries said, this has always been a Microsoft oriented community.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Fair enough. Was just a thought.. Then again even MS are in bed with FOSS these days..

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
                even MS are in bed with FOSS these days..
                All that ever happens when such things happen is you excite the conspiracy theorists enough to distract them from 9-11 and grassy knolls. Apparently Microsoft only released their code because they breached the GPL.

Let's face it, we're never going to know the full story...
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                  All that ever happens when such things happen is you excite the conspiracy theorists enough to distract them from 9-11 and grassy knolls. Apparently Microsoft only released their code because they breached the GPL.

Let's face it, we're never going to know the full story...
                  http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07...office_server/

Open your mind! The truth is out there......(que X files theme music)

Comment

hey I'm right here with this idea and I'm all for it really, even if we decide to keep things in the spirit of this website and stick to commercial Linux distributions and implementations, no how-do-I-add-mp3-support thing

but it is true - there's loads of other resources out there, I personally have become really fond of serverfault.com and daniweb.com
                    Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Working...
                    X