• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hardware

hi there,

what about hardware issues forum ?

ronen.
    crocus

Do you think it'll catch? Who'll run it? I don't have the time for that. Do you?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

don't think it will run...
      you can give it a shot without a moderator..
      if it will run, you call always ask for a moderator??? right?
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

agree

i agree with Dumber
        crocus

Comment

yeah well I don't know what's best - a dead forum with a few posts or no forum at all? I'll set up a poll and we'll see. Let the poll run for a week or two. How about that?
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I don't think it is worth it. I am a moderator on a hardware board and there are many of them around (boards, not moderators). I don't know what Daniel's intentions are for this board but I joined because it offered a resource for possible problems I might/will encounter with Win2K3, XP and AD. I consider this a site for IT Professionals and not for Joe Blow who has problems putting Windows 95 on his 486 or can't find an XP driver for his Trident 512K video adapter. If you are installing Win2K3 then you will hopefully be installing it on some high end hardware and not the minimum that Microsoft recommends which may cause problems.

However if Daniel eventually hope to get enough members to attract some advertising to offset the cost of running this board/site then Hardware and other Forums wil be needed.

That's my 5 cents worth. (We don't have 1 or 2 cents coins in OZ)
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

biggles77

why do you think that on high end hardware there are no problams ?
              my computers teacher always said " if it doesnt crash its not a pc"
              the more stronger computers will get the more resources applications will need which will finally always has an affect on hardware.
              crocus

Comment

Ronker, your post is a bit off topic. If you wish to continue this, we could start another thread and keep this one clean for the Hardware Forum yes/no discussion. What do you think?
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

agree

crocus

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Petri
                    yeah well I don't know what's best - a dead forum with a few posts or no forum at all? I'll set up a poll and we'll see. Let the poll run for a week or two. How about that?
                    i think, its a great idea to start a poll.
                    i actually don't care if there is one.... i wouldn't use it anyway..
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I think it's a great Idea for a Hardware form. As not everybody looks at ways to Tweak it, but to make it Operate like it should. True There are plenty of Hardware forms that take about the Hardware. But I have yet to see one that will explain to the Lamer, how it should work. And NOT how to just Tweak it. I'd even run the form If need be. Or we could all trade off on it. I'm In Gents.
                      "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without Result" -Winston Churchill

Comment

Hi pclinc,
                        If you havent already, please vote in the hardware forum poll and your opinion will be added to the others.

Personally, I think the new Misc forum is the place for the limited number of hardware issues likely to be of relevance here -- remember the whole group of forums (fora?) is aimed at servers and networking, with client operating systems and issues only really of relevance if they affect an entire network.

This is not intended as a "put down" or to trivialise client operating systems, but personally I like the very sharp focus of this forum and would hate to see it become a "dumping ground" for any windows hardware and software issues. There are too many forums where you get swamped with discussion on every computing related issue.

Daniel -- if you have not yet done so, can I suggest you have a definite mission statement for the board (apologies if I am out of line suggesting it) similar to the mission on the main home page www.petri.com

Tom
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Tom,

I will do just that, I just need to sit down and write something. Can you pick up the hat for me? I honestly think that you can do a better job...
                          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Well What Can I say. I voted. Looks like it won't fly. But It was just a Idea. But then again I've only been doing this Computer stuff since 1968.
                            And retirement is Boring as hell. No problem, Am Off to the game (MOHAA)
                            "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without Result" -Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                            X