Marking a post as the answer in forums

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marking a post as the answer in forums

Is there any way with Vbulletin to mark a post as the answer or proposed answer by the thread starter or a moderator. Similar to some other forums.
    I know not everything can require a straight forward answer but in general that should apply. Is that something that has been considered or dismissed in the past here at Petri and does it conflict with the rep system or can the two be integrated?

Cheers
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Re: Marking a post as the answer in forums

There is (AFAIK) an informal practice of rating "closed" issues as 5 stars, but nothing like an "accepted solution" as used by Experts Exchange
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yeh, what he said.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
        Is there any way with Vbulletin to mark a post as the answer or proposed answer by the thread starter or a moderator. Similar to some other forums.
        That would be nice. I infrequently see some topic starters post a final note that says "topic closed by author" or something similar, but to me that doesn't really add much value. I always forget to rate a thread... it seems to be an underutilized feature. Let's start a trend, shall we? It would be nice if you could publicly rate an individual post within a thread.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

There's usually more than one way to solve a problem however. I'm sure there's mods to do this, but IMHO they would be rarely utilized.
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

When you rate the thread, does the rating you give get displayed for everyone viewing the thread or is it just viewable on your own machine?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              When you rate the thread, does the rating you give get displayed for everyone viewing the thread or is it just viewable on your own machine?
              Displayed for everyone, Something similar to MS Answers or EE but adaptable for this forum.
              The reason I brought this up is that loads of Internet users when they do search online they get loads of results from this forum and it'd be even better if the thread has got a post marked as the absolute answer (If that exists) or Solved or partial answers (partly Solved) that help directing the user to a full solution. Some sort of module lile this one maybe?
              Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Maybe we should have something in place that accepts the "answer" but only if a set criteria of users have stated it is probably correct?
                cheers
                Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I'm testing out a possible way of marking answers to problems. Check out this thread and my edit to the original post. I also rated it 5 stars.
                  Wesley David
                  LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                  Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                  Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
                    Maybe we should have something in place that accepts the "answer" but only if a set criteria of users have stated it is probably correct?
                    It can't be done. I don't think that it'll work, look at the rating, I don't see a lot of 5 star posts, even when most of them have correctly solved the problem. Hell, I don't even see a 100% "thank you for your help" replies...
                    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

There should be literally HUNDREDS of the 5 Stars. I have been giving definately solved threads the 5 Star rating for several years now. What gives?

Wired, do you know of any add on that could be installed?
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

None that I personally like for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                          There should be literally HUNDREDS of the 5 Stars. I have been giving definately solved threads the 5 Star rating for several years now. What gives?
                          We're sure that others can see your own thread ratings, right? Can everyone else see that I rated this thread 5 stars?
                          Wesley David
                          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Yes I can.
                            However I like the idea to rate the posts like EE.
                            I always scroll down straight to the answer when I hit the site from EE in my queries.
                            Marcel
                            Technical Consultant
                            Netherlands
                            http://www.phetios.com
                            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                              However I like the idea to rate the posts like EE.
                              I always scroll down straight to the answer when I hit the site from EE in my queries.
                              I do the same thing too and then maybe read a few posts above and below to get a fuller understanding of the issue if I need to. I wonder if having a system like that would significantly increase traffic or user satisfaction to justify such an undertaking. Not many forums have that kind of feature to mark an answers or close a thread.
                              Wesley David
                              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Working...
                              X