Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RSS forum posts and not just new threads?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSS forum posts and not just new threads?

Hello,

I have my RSS feed reader set up for every single forum on the site. However, it only shows new threads and not new posts. It'd sure be nice to have RSS update me when new posts are made rather than having to come to the forum and click the "New Posts" link. Security-Forums.com is set up this way, and it's rather nice to get new posts to existing threads sent to my RSS reader instead of having to navigate to the site and search for new posts. (Of course, that's less impressions and potential clicks for their advertisers...) Is that possible on the Petri forums? Do many other people use RSS on the forums or am I in the minority?

Thanks
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Re: RSS forum posts and not just new threads?

I don't think anyone can answer this except Daniel or another Admin.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

My RSS reader updates new posts as well as new threads. Check the configuration of your reader.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        My RSS reader updates new posts as well as new threads. Check the configuration of your reader.
        Hmmm... I'm using Outlook 2007 for this. I looked at the possible settings but don't see much of use. What do you use as a feed reader? I used to use Google Reader a lot, but went a bit crazy with it. Seeing 150 new items a day overwhelmed me. I need to clean that out...
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

You need to use the secret RSS feed
          http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=4505 for more details.
          Guy Teverovsky
          "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Ah ha! That seems to have worked... I'm using the following URL:
            Code:
            http://forums.petri.com/rss2.php?type=RSS2&count=100
            I figure if there's more than 100 posts then I've probably been away for a few days and don't have much hope of catching up from the beginning anyway. Thanks Guy! Your crash course in PHP did the trick. For some levity, here's some PHP humor.
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by Nonapeptide View Post
              For some levity, here's some PHP humor.
              LOL. How true !
              Guy Teverovsky
              "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Oddly enough, every day I receive RSS messages of old threads that haven't been updated in weeks or as much as a month. For instance, today I received the last post in this thread. For a while I was receiving the "Buy Petri a Laptop" thread just about every day. It's stopped now. I wonder what old threads will be passed to me tomorrow. Curioser and curioser...
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Working...
                X