Moderator reactions to spambots etc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moderator reactions to spambots etc

At present I have noticed that when a spammer is noticed, they are banned and the moderator usually leaves a post in the thread to indicate that action has been taken. However, usually the spammer's post is not edited and any links remain in place.

Given the nature of the sites some of the links point to, would it be worth the moderator removing any links from spam posts?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Re: Moderator reactions to spambots etc

The post is reported but it may just be the moderator can't mod that forum so it has to wait for an Admin or a Mod that can!
    At least that is how I think it works.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Good point, hadn't thought of that.

I've wasted the whole of today dealing with the weekend's spam. 15,000 spam messages, all in our quarantine mailbox for me to wade through. And those are just the ones that Exclaimer and Untangle didn't catch - a glance at the log files suggests that we've really annoyed someone lately - over 60,000 spam messages recieved this weekend, most of which were caught by the filters.
      Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

We are only able to edit the forums where we are mod for.
        Today I banned a spammer in the W2k/W2k3 forum and I'm not a mod for that forum.
        So before anyone start spamming us with reports I usually leave a message.

However we can ban every user. That is forum independent.

If a mod detects spam in his own forum then he will remove that thread straight away, well at least if he is awake enough
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
          Good point, hadn't thought of that.

I've wasted the whole of today dealing with the weekend's spam. 15,000 spam messages, all in our quarantine mailbox for me to wade through. And those are just the ones that Exclaimer and Untangle didn't catch - a glance at the log files suggests that we've really annoyed someone lately - over 60,000 spam messages recieved this weekend, most of which were caught by the filters.
          Have you had a look at Clark Connect. It is very good at filtering spam, sometime just a bit too good if you are a bit over zealous with your configuration.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks to be similar to Untangle?

Having just looked... ooo pretty definately worth a look. Thanks for that one
            Gareth Howells

Comment

And the best part is the price is exactly right. Has some really nifty monitoring tools for the proxy part. An overall pretty good package AND you can run it in a Virtual, something I have yet to do with Untangle.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Untangle works fine for me in VMs on assorted hypervisors...

In production I don't like virtualising my gateway for security reasons though.
                Gareth Howells

Comment

Gettin a bit off topic?
                  @gforce, well in that case please review: https://edge.technet.com/Media/Virtu...t-TMG-servers/
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

I'll happily virtualise ISA because I don't believe in sticking a Windows machine at the edge at the very least it'll be hiding behind a broadband router.

I'm slowly warming to the idea of virtualising more and more services - even gateways, as long as the edge firewall is dedicated (a router will do fine), and as long as I can dedicate a physical NIC in the server to that VM.
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

Well I really would put an ISA server on the edge.
                      Till now there ISA hasn't been breached. I want to dare you to find any document where it states differently.
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands

Comment

Oh don't get me wrong, I have a great deal of respect for ISA. But I still don't like sticking Windows on the edge.

I'll put ISA on the edge, as long as I can have a broadband router on the edge edge

I'm sure there will have been cases where ISA has been breached - almost certainly due to the way it was configured though.
                        Gareth Howells

Comment

Find 1... I really make it simple... just one. Nothing more.

ISA is one of the better firewalls out there. It can even inspect inside published SSL sites (try that doing with any router ).
                          And you can even extend this with ClearTunnel

I deal a lot with Check Point, colleagues of mine deal a lot with ASA's but I'm convinced that ISA is one of the better products you can have on the edge. Till now I noticed that ISA is also one of the more stable onces.
                          I get a lot more issues with Check Point (or Check Point/Nokia) environments then with ISA.

And if you even go further by hardening the OS by using the SCW well try it yourself
                          Last edited by biggles77; 21st February 2009, 20:19. Reason: Fix smilie
                          Marcel
                          Technical Consultant
                          Netherlands

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                            Find 1... I really make it simple... just one. Nothing more.

ISA is one of the better firewalls out there. It can even inspect inside published SSL sites (try that doing with any router :roll).
                            And you can even extend this with ClearTunnel

I deal a lot with Check Point, colleagues of mine deal a lot with ASA's but I'm convinced that ISA is one of the better products you can have on the edge. Till now I noticed that ISA is also one of the more stable onces.
                            I get a lot more issues with Check Point (or Check Point/Nokia) environments then with ISA.

And if you even go further by hardening the OS by using the SCW well try it yourself
                            So Marcel i have a little question for you that i think i know what the reply will be.

We protect our systems by using Sonicwall devices with Checkpoint Integrity Flex on the clients for a bit more protection, especially travellers.

Our interent is controlled by using a transparent proxy server by St Bernard.

My question is this, i want to try and cut down the number of our machines on the LAN and help treamline theclients. Will ISA server allow us to do this??

Can our remote travellers stay protected while disconnected from the LAN???

Can ISA act as a transparent proxy server???

My knowledge of ISA is pretty non existent but i am prepared to learn

Maybe i should've pm'd this...

Comment

I think you should PM me because I really don't understand what you want to know.
                              Marcel
                              Technical Consultant
                              Netherlands

Comment

Working...
                              X