Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Slowness

Hi
    Im just wondering if there is some backend resource issue with your web server?

75% of the time I find it very slow on the forums. I test other forums & websites & they respond fast, so i know its not my adsl or web browser.
    I test from other computers using different ISP's & experience the same thing.

Ping times to your web server from here Brisbane Australia is around 300ms. I log on & try a PC in Sydney or Melbourne & its about the same.

The remaining 25% of the time its very fast & i experience no issues. Any ideas?

Not sure if there is some backup or database cleanup happening when i happen to login.

Also, what is the timeout limit when creating posts? I notice that if I take more than say 10 mins to reply or create a new post & click submit, it will give me an administrtative error. I have got in the habit of copying the text from each post/reply before I click submit due to this.

M

Re: Forum Slowness

Getting a constant 46ms ping from here. Try a tracert, seeing a slow node?
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ok, well being in OZ means every website OS has a high ping time for us. I gather you are within a few hundred miles/kms of the hosted website.

Yeah, its really weird & Ive never seen anyone else post/mention it here, so gather it is just me. But like i say, I have tried it from computers & ISP's in different parts of the country & other websites I use OS I dont experience this with, so I know its not isolated to my PC or ISP.

Would be interesting to know if any other aussies in here experience the same thing. Maybe its a DNS thing on our side.

Comment

Maybe you should move to Melbourne, land of the beautiful people, and faster Internet. ping times 222 - 227. Pages here load at normal speed and I have had OZ based sites load slower!! I would suggest it is the ever (un)reliable Bigpong that may be causing your problems.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

[QUOTEMaybe you should move to Melbourne, ][/QUOTE]

I have a few clients in Melbourme & can log onto their pc's & servers there to test access to the petri site. Not onlt are they different PC's, they are different ISP's (Internode & Optus) . I get the same result there, but ONLY when I am experiencing slowness from my own end.

[QUOTEland of the beautiful people][/QUOTE] Yeah right, although I actually quite like Melbourne, it has a climate more like Northern England & too cold for me. Beautiful people? Maybe in Collins st, but essentially (now dont get upset) most have faces like either a burnt thong, a twisted sandshoe or a dropped meat pie.

Now compare that with tropical Brisbane or the Gold Coast, where the women hardly wear any clothes all year round (ok some should wear more).

I would suggest it is the ever (un)reliable Bigpong that may be causing your problems.
          Well yeah, which ever ISP you go with, at some point your going to be using Bigponds DSLAMS or Lines. I Cant wait until someone gets enough infrastructure in to bypass them. What a schmozzle.

Comment

Mobius, please learn how to use the QUOTE system if you're going to split them up

[QUOTE ] (minus the space) starts a quote
            [/QUOTE ] (minus the space) ends a quote
            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Pardon me whilst I take this rather

Originally posted by mobius2011 View Post
              Yeah right, although I actually quite like Melbourne, it has a climate more like Northern England & too cold for me.
              I never though I'd see the words 'cold' and 'Australia' in the same sentence.

And what of Wired's suggestion to do a tracert or even a pathping? Set up smokeping or cacti and see what the historical data shows you. If nothing else, you'll have kewl graphs to impress your friends with.
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              -------------------------------
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
              Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Mobius, please learn how to use the QUOTE system if you're going to split them up
                It was the computer that did it, I swear. It wouldnt have been me...... there had to be some other factor. Bet you have never heard that excuse before.

I never though I'd see the words 'cold' and 'Australia' in the same sentence.
                Well to digress even further. True, the top 3/4 of the country is fairly warm compared to say Europe, Asia & North America, but Victoria & Tasmania have climates very close to Europe. The State of Victoria ( where Melbourne is) has most of Australias ski fields. So that gives you an idea of its climate range.

And what of Wired's suggestion to do a tracert or even a pathping?
                Funny my windows machine wont do it, but from linux it will. It gets held up a bit in Sydney, San Jose, Denver & Chicago. But so do other sites that I dont experience slowness with.

Oh well, I will just let it rest for a few hours if i have trouble again.

Set up smokeping or cacti
                Smokeping wasnt freeware.... & Cacti, while it looks cool, needs PHP, SQL, Starship Enterprise, Death Star & a few other things to run & hours of configuration by the looks of it.

Comment

Right now I also notice great slowness on the forum.
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands
                  http://www.phetios.com
                  http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Agreed, very slow. Tracert is sub-50ms across the trace.
                    Last edited by Wired; 8th September 2008, 16:21.

Comment

Smokeping wasnt freeware....
                      Quoth the Smokeping web site:
                      Free and OpenSource Software written in Perl written by Tobi Oetiker, the creator of MRTG and RRDtool
                      Where did you gather that it wasn't FOSS?

& Cacti, while it looks cool, needs PHP, SQL, Starship Enterprise, Death Star & a few other things to run & hours of configuration by the looks of it.
                      Oh, well, if you're going to be discouraged by a few minor details...
                      Wesley David
                      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                      Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Where did you gather that it wasn't FOSS?
                        I dont know, I must have been slipped some hard hard drugs not to have seen that, sorry mate, my mistake.

few minor details
                        Ok I might have been wrong about Smokeping, but Cacti DOES in fact require the Death Star to operate. A network testing utility that needs SQL, PHP & its own website to work?

Comment

Ok I might have been wrong about Smokeping, but Cacti DOES in fact require the Death Star to operate. A network testing utility that needs SQL, PHP & its own website to work?
                          It's called a LAMP server (Death Star not included or even needed... although this one would help pass the time while Linux is installing), it needs any old P3 junker in the backroom, and takes just a few hours to accept the defaults for everthing. Actually, I think there's a Cacti virtual appliance out there so you probably just need to spend a few minutes configuring VMWare Player.
                          Wesley David
                          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Use InstantRails for a hassle free LAMP install.

Comment

Seems very very slow again today.
                              anyone else?
                              "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Working...
                              X