Quality of posts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality of posts

I am a big fan of this website and have recently started to look at the forums, I am shocked by the lack of knowledge of some members, based on their posts.

It seems some are posting their day job on here How do I

I was hoping that this forum would be a meeting of like minded individuals who are keen to exchange ideas for the benefit of the IT community. Is there any vetting that takes place on posts? Perhaps members should be cross referenced and have a minimum skill set before they can post here?

Just a thought?

I believe I have much to offer and Im sure there are many who can teach me a thing or two here, just seems a shame that some members have nothing to offer yet are keen to post tedious requests.

Great site. Keep up the good work.

M

Re: Quality of posts

Everyone has to start somewhere - and a lot of those people posing questions are studying (The name of the site is MCSEWorld), as opposed to working in a production environment. Why would you artificially limit the customer base of the site to knowledgable people? The whole idea of the site is that knowledgeable people help others who are less so - if you stop the less knowledgable coming here there'd be noone left to help!

The quality of posts here is very effectively policed I think you'll find, too... anyone breaking the rules gets a two week ban, no questions asked.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by modena View Post
      I was hoping that this forum would be a meeting of like minded individuals who are keen to exchange ideas for the benefit of the IT community
      Hi, modena.

Well, after I read your lines, I am not quite sure why are you dissapointed... Being in the forum already some time now, I feel this is exactly the situation... Take a look at the people around, see how many of them are MVPs, how many of them have MCP/MCSA/MCSE qualifications... So why are you disappointed?
      True, there are people that ask things that are obvious and (thus) annoying. There are posts that a simple Google search solves the problem... What can we do about it? Ban the users? Will that serve the cause?
      Believe me, the things I learned from the best guys here are much higher than the frustration of doing Google searches for someone...
      This is how I feel, anyway...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

When I started out I had people answer my stupid, duh questions (and I had lots). Dispite some of my replies I figure I am obligated to now answer someone elses duh questions. Hopefully these members we help here will carry on the tradition and so continue the unofficial training of the duh question askers. You can also learn from someone who ask questions. If you don't know the answer, you have to go and research it. More often than not you will also come across something else you didn't know and that results in your own knowledge expansion.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          When I started out I had people answer my stupid, duh questions (and I had lots). Dispite some of my replies I figure I am obligated to now answer someone elses duh questions. Hopefully these members we help here will carry on the tradition and so continue the unofficial training of the duh question askers. You can also learn from someone who ask questions. If you don't know the answer, you have to go and research it. More often than not you will also come across something else you didn't know and that results in your own knowledge expansion.
          LMAO - just call me "Google by Proxy"

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

"If you dont know the answer then is it classed as a stupid question?"

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
              "If you dont know the answer then is it classed as a stupid question?"

Michael
              No, but there are those questions that you ask yourself: "Man, where should I start with this guy?"Example (from a local forum): "I have a problem with my IP address at home. When I run ipconfig in my computer, it tells me 192.168... . But when I visited http://www.whatismyip.com it gave me something else. Is my router OK?" Luckily, we have a lot of higher level questions in this forum...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Modena,

As much as I would like to make the quality of the forums higher, remember that this is a free website, and although we have a very tight moderation policy and enforce our rules with a hard hand, there is no rule against stupidity. Hopefully, the real lame ones will be identified by other members and weeded out accordingly.

Anyway, because you claim you have a lot to share I can only welcome you and hope to start seeing your high(er) quality posts.

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

There are high quality post, they're just drowned out at times. Also, the ones who make high quality posts often check out the KB here first, and probably get a fair amount of questions resolved there.

No worries, we're all here to help and learn
                  ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

i've seen people really been told off and put down asking questions on the openbsd-general, eventhough they've done a great deal of research before they've posted a question. who sets the rules for how much background someone should do before they "earn" the right to ask anything. believe it or not, as unreasonable as it sounds, i've even come across some UNIX people who expect you to have an understanding of the inner workings of the code for a command.

let's not adopt the UNIX-world RTFM approach. and even with that school, the degree of research-done-before-the-question-is-asked can be quite ridiculous. for someone new to that realm, you know that deciphering the man pages can be very difficult to decipher - even some seasoned people have a problem understanding what's being said.

isn't it much easier to either ignore a post or give a one line answer than to go off in a long insulting rant that helps no one at the end of the day.

remember, someone who is new and asks something along the lines of the router/ipconfig question is pretty new at all of this. i'll be surprised if they know what to look for, or how to word their problem so that google will show something useful.

i don't know, but i think one have mercy on those people. they tend to be very grateful for the help.

Comment

xyyz - we generally follow exactly the approach you desire; I have never seen an example of the contrary.

Tom

Comment

xyz - I fully agree with Tom.
                        There will always be good approaches and bad ones, both on the side of those who ask and on the side of those who reply. After all, we are (almost) human.
                        I consider problematic a question in which the poster leaves you with the feeling that his time is much more important than yours. That no research was done, whatsoever. I agree that using the right search string is not always an easy task to achieve. Nevertheless, at least try...
                        And I never saw, in my time here, that someone has to "earn the right of asking".

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

xyz said:
                          isn't it much easier to either ignore a post or give a one line answer than to go off in a long insulting rant that helps no one at the end of the day.
                          yeah, but where is the fun in that? i think this place is more than anyone could hope for. i aggree... many times good posts are drowned out by some of the usual fodder, but that is the beauty of a search index.

if your looking for an answer, you dont go reading every post... you go to the search button and fill out the boxes with some relavent info.

and xyz, i do agree. lets not adopt the unix RTFM approach...

instead adopt the UTFSE approach... USE THE F*&! SEARCH ENGINE!
                          its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
                          Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Working...
                          X