Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scripting Clinics...?

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
    You know infinitely more in the scripting department than I do.
    Not really. My scripts usually do the job but can be messy and don't cope well with bad input/validation and handling errors. Thats why i dont release many into the wild. I know how they work and what to do when they fail but can't be bothered to get the script to handle that! I need to improve that aspect of my development
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Can I join a domain that does not exist?

Originally posted by tonyyeb View Post
    Not really.
    Well any value is infinitely more than Zilch
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Scripting Clinics...?

in a good way, i hope.

Well there you go JeremyW, a great stretch goal for many admins -- to learn scripting.

Certainly something that needs to be moved to the scripting forum but I'm thinking w/ the likes of Rems et al, we could host some scripting clinics in these forums. Not giving a full blown answer up front but posing a typical problem most folks face then issuing a series of lessons to get us from "the problem"; to partial functionality; to basic functionality; to full functionality; to extended functionality.

Too wild a thought?
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by rvalstar View Post
        in a good way, i hope.

Well there you go JeremyW, a great stretch goal for many admins -- to learn scripting.
        Funny you should say that. Last October or November I bought Windows Command Line and the Windows 2000 Scripting Guide (I know it's available free online) but haven't found the time to read them.

Certainly something that needs to be moved to the scripting forum but I'm thinking w/ the likes of Rems et al, we could host some scripting clinics in these forums. Not giving a full blown answer up front but posing a typical problem most folks face then issuing a series of lessons to get us from "the problem"; to partial functionality; to basic functionality; to full functionality; to extended functionality.

Too wild a thought?
        I would be interested...
        Last edited by JeremyW; 26th February 2007, 21:33. Reason: removed the unfinished sentence that made no sense.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

we could host some scripting clinics in these forums
          Agreed!! I am lacking this field too, and I'm trying at the moment to change that. Rick, you mentioned Rem While reading his posts, I sometimes feel that I can ask him to get water out of the desert, and he will come back after few hours with a script that does just that (and I know this is because I don't understand a thing in scripting... I'm not that bad )
          Don't pay too much attention to me, the award fumes are still around me

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

@JeremyW: You're a mod on this forum. Why not split this bit of the thread off to suggestions or scripting so we can pursue. My apologies for not doing this from the start as I suspected this would get some play when I went .
            Cheers,

Rick

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Re: Scripting Clinics...?

@JeremyW: You're a mod on this forum. Why not split this bit of the thread off to suggestions or scripting so we can pursue.
              I was contemplating doing that... so now it's done.
              Cut and moved to Suggestions and Feedback
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Re: Scripting Clinics...?

...a typical problem most folks face then issuing a series of lessons to get us from "the problem"; to partial functionality; to basic functionality; to full functionality; to extended functionality.

Too wild a thought?
                I wouldn't mind joining in for this... I'm no script guru... but I sometimes enjoy pretending I am.

Lets create a list of "typical problems".
                Andrew

Comment

Working...
                X