Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new sql server forum request

Hey,
    I just noticed that there is no SQL server forum. I am stuck on an issue and naturally the first place i look is here. I am by no means a SQL Server guru, but a forum for us would be nice.
    Lior
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Re: new sql server forum request

Until we start getting a lot of SQL questions, it is probably not worth having an SQL Forum. I think if you search the site there are about 3 or 4 SQL threads. The other problem is that we would need an experienced SQL user to help answer the questions and I don't know if we have that expertise on the site at this point in time.

This may change in the near future if the info I heard is correct and AD is going to use SQL. More questions may then arise (along with a Forum). In the meantime it may be confusing where to post a question. At the moment the Misc Forum is the appropriate place. Maybe we need a Other Microsoft Apps Forum?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I'm moderately experienced with SQL Server 2000, so will do my best

Lior, please post in Misc forum at present -- as said, if there is demand,there may be a SQL or Back Office forum in the future

Tom
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        This may change in the near future if the info I heard is correct and AD is going to use SQL. More questions may then arise (along with a Forum).
        I know I'm going but the book I'm reading right now mentioned that one of the advantages of AD is that it didn't use a complex query language like SQL.
        Is Longhorn going to employ SQL as it's query language?
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

If you are following this and are curious about that SQL server question then follow this link.

and to continue going off topic...
          Jeremy-
          biggles77 is referring to the engine not the interface of AD. Most likely normal usage will not change. What that means is that ISV's can better integrate and query AD.
          and The rumor continues that exchange will be moving to SQL server engine as well.

didn't use a complex query language like SQL.
          and SQL is an acronym for Structured Query Language not "complex"
          "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
            and SQL is an acronym for Structured Query Language not "complex"
            Yes, I know. But SQL is a lot more complex/has advanced functions/has more commands than LDAP (which is also a query language) hence the name Lightweight Directory Access Protocol.

I'm speaking beyond my can, though. (it's just what the book said ) I don't know SQL or X500 (what LDAP is based on) at all.
            Last edited by JeremyW; 8th December 2006, 01:09. Reason: grammar
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
            X