Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else finding "New Posts" is showing all posts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else finding "New Posts" is showing all posts?

This happened a few days back. I have cleared all cookies / files / cache AND rebooted but no change. I get 20 plus pages when I click "New Posts" below my "good <time of day>, rvalstar" message.

Anyone else having the same prob or know how I can fix this?

Appreciate the help.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Re: Anyone else finding &quot;New Posts&quot; is showing all posts?

This is due to some configuration changes made.
    To rectify the "problem" you can click on the Quick Links and select Mark Forums Read. After that it will only show the actual new posts.
    Guy, you got any more advice on how to handle it?
    Attached Files
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

That did the trick. Fat fingers are a curse.

Thanks so much.
      Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Well, this is me to blame.
        I switched the way the threads are marked as read. Till several days ago, all threads were marked as read x minutes after you browsed the forums.
        The way it works now is that threads are not marked as read till you actually read it.
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Originally posted by guyt View Post
          Well, this is me to blame.
          I switched the way the threads are marked as read. Till several days ago, all threads were marked as read x minutes after you browsed the forums.
          The way it works now is that threads are not marked as read till you actually read it.

I like it this way. Means i am not missing as many posts as i did before.
          Server 2000 MCP
          Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by tonyyeb View Post
            I like it this way. Means i am not missing as many posts as i did before.
            I'm the same.

I always ended up forgeting i had the forums open when i was called away and when i came back all the "new" posts had gone.

Comment

Just to be the contrarian, I liked it the way it was before. Probably because I'm just looking at the teaser lines and not opening each one. Anyway to have your cake and eat it two?
              Cheers,

Rick

Comment

"Mark Forums Read" too much work for ya?
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Doesn't give the same behavior by a long shot. I do it, go away for 1/2 a day, and I have 5 pages of posts -- far more than really happened.

So it isn't working (for me) as expected.
                  Cheers,

Rick

Comment

It works great for me. The issue with the old method was that if you came to the forum, lets say after one week of absence, and you got 300 new message, it might take you a lot of time to go throught them all. So by now you've gone though 20 or 30 posts, scrolling around, and then you get a phone call. You take 2 minutes to answer it, and when you get back to the forums you now see that all the new posts are now marked as being old, and now you cannot continue reviewing the new threads and answers because they are no longer marked as being new.

Hence the change, where the threads are only marked as read after you manually mark the forums as read.
                    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Still, maybe something to ask the makers of your site's software as an enhancement. For moderators et al, seems like the current mode is best. For lazy sods like me, the old way was more convenient. I still say why not have it both ways?
                      Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Coz it seems like there's only one way... I'll ask Guy to respond, we'll see if he has something up his sleeve.
                        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Sorry folks... This is a global setting and can't be configured per user.
                          Also the way it works, I'm not sure it can be implemented as per user setting.

I'll try to check whether it can be done, but I am quite sceptic about it.
                          Guy Teverovsky
                          "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
                            I'll ask Guy to see if he has something up his sleeve.
                            An arm perhaps?
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

My objective here is to get a quick look at threads that have been touched since I last logged on. Don't want nor need to see 10 entries for a thread with lots of activity. I'm fine w/ "Mark Forums Read" then looking at "Today's Posts" as it gives me the view I'm looking for.

However, I was away for 4 days and would like to get a "Today's Posts" view but for a longer time span. What query do I need to execute to get that?

I can program computers, I just can't always use them
                              Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X