Internal Knowledgebase Suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal Knowledgebase Suggestions?

Looking for a web-based KB that can be set up w/ a private and public area (or if you prefer, back end and front end).

Private area would be for techs (logins preferred) to create / view articles for tech use only, and also to move/copy articles to public view, or at the least a form to create the public ones. No logins necessary ATM for public viewing. The whole system would be on our intranet.

Any suggestions out there?

Side note: Why still vB 3.0.9?
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Internal Knowledgebase Suggestions?

I can't answer your first part of the question (I bet Guy can), as for the version part - we're upgrading this weekend.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Have you looked at Microsoft SharePoint? That might possibly accomplish what you're after.
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

danielp:
        Whew vB 3.5.x is well worth it, believe you me Done some plugin / products for it myself, makes hacking vB SOOOOOO much easier

jasonboche:
        We're already using it internally (not sure for what), but the one guy who knew everything about it is gone, so until someone picks up the knowledge slack in that area, it's well worth avoiding for now. However, if you have any easy references for Sharepoint / KB stuff, it'd be greatly appreciated. I guess I should probably check out the Sharepoint sub-forum for more info on it as well, as well as the standard MS site of course.

Was kinda looking @ Wiki, but no true private area.
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Wired
          Side note: Why still vB 3.0.9?
          Argg ! And where have you been when I was rewriting the "Latest Posts" RSS feed feature to make it work on vB 3.5 ?
          Guy Teverovsky
          "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Originally posted by guyt
            Argg ! And where have you been when I was rewriting the "Latest Posts" RSS feed feature to make it work on vB 3.5 ?
            Probably playing City of Heroes or hacking my own forum lol!

This hack @ vbulletin.org may help you, dunno. Read the in-code comments to understand it, as the thread comments suck. They do mention in the code that it can be used for new posts.

FPS_EXTERNAL.PHP -- New options added & RSS compliant version of external.php
            Last edited by Wired; 18th May 2006, 01:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Wired
              This hack @ vbulletin.org may help you, dunno. ead the in-code comments to understand it, as the thread comments suck. They do mention in the code that it can be used for new posts.

FPS_EXTERNAL.PHP -- New options added & RSS compliant version of external.php
              Well, it can, but... It will also bring your website to it's knees as some RSS readers just love to refresh every 60 seconds and if there are couple dozens of those, you will create a nice DoS attack on your own site.

Instead of each time running a query, I have a scheduled job every 5 minutes that builds a cache in datastore and the feed is based on a simple single SQL query fetching it's content from the datastore I used someone else's code and modified it quite a bit.
              Guy Teverovsky

Comment

Doesn't vB 3.5.x have data caching or something that helps prevent that though?

Comment

I'm not much of vBulletin hacker, but as far as I know, you need to explicitly populate the cache and that's exactly what I am doing - cahing the info in the datastore.
                  Guy Teverovsky

Comment

FYI to all, recently found a wiki that may do the job.

http://www.twiki.org/

Quoting their front page:

Welcome to TWiki, a flexible, powerful, and easy to use enterprise collaboration platform and knowledge management system. It is a Structured Wiki, typically used to run a project development space, a document management system, a knowledge base, or any other groupware tool, on an intranet or on the internet. Web content can be created collaboratively by using just a browser. Users without programming skills can create web applications. Developers can extend the functionality of TWiki with Plugins.

Comment

As an update, I tried installing it on Windows. First time touching Perl, and let's just say it wasn't a particularly fun install. After a while I gave up.

About a month ago, I found this:

TWiki VMware Virtual Machine (using Debian stable)

It's basically a VM of Twiki v4.0.4 running on Debian. Works right out of the gate, although I haven't tested much yet

Twiki v4.0.5 is out, so if you want to use the VM, you'll have to patch it manually.

Comment

Working...
                      X