• A nice pic of me and my bike

Just wanted to share it with you folks.
    Attached Files
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Re: A nice pic of me and my bike

Oh brother, nice helmet colours.......(hehehehehehehe)
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I know, I wanted pink but the factory ran out of them. Turns out all pink helmets were shipped to Lynbrook Australia. I really don't know why.
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

nice one

Comment

Originally posted by poly
          nice one
          Mmmm, maybe. It looks like a still shot to me and without training wheels it look like the "mystery rider" can't hold the bike up.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It took you a while to answer, you couldn't find what to say, could you?

Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Sorry, I was busy counting your back order of pink helmets.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi Daniel,

I am a newbie to your forum. Nicely done!!

And the first topic I check out is you on your bike! I also ride bikes so I can appreciate your enthusiasm and desire to share.

What I see:
                You look pretty cranked over. Foot peg dragging? If not, it looks like it is pretty close to dragging. Pretty cool

How long you been riding? You are obviously not a novice.

Nice paint job on your helmut. Did you have it done or did you buy it that way?

Not sure make of bike.

Not full fairing?

At least a 750.

Full leathers.

Riding boots? I need to look again.

My guess: 2nd or 3rd gear at apex of turn, looking way ahead. Good form.

Kind of scary with cars coming the other way right at you.

I am a dirt biker so I am limited on my street bike knowledge so be tolerant wiith my assessment.

Favorite part of pic - cranked over! And I am sure your knee must be dragging a la Valentino Rossi!!

I think I also saw sparks from the footpeg!!

Was this taken in Israel? How about some more pics of the bike and helmet?

You are obvioulsy a very good rider judging from your lean angle.

Roostin' in Colorado,
                mtk2
                Last edited by mtk2; 27th March 2006, 05:33.

Comment

Daniel,

Took another look at pic.

Corrections:

BMW - 1200?

Model - ****R

No leathers.

Arai helmet. Looks like stock paint job from factory (like my helmet) but I've never seen one like that. Looks even better close up.

Alpinestar gloves?

Cool rear wheel.

Obviously not chain driven, like most BMWs. Single sided swingarm, again like most BMWs.

I did not know that BMW makes an inline four.

I sure would like to see a close up of that fork. It does not look like the standard telscopic fork.

Ball of foot on footpeg = advanced riding technique!!

Still pretty far cranked over!! Perfectly centered on bike.

Avoiding the paint of the white line = less traction.

Clean bike!! Looks new!?!

My brother's friend restores old BMWs.

BMW makes excellent bikes!! You made a good choice

When I eventually retire from dirt bikes, BMW will be one of the top 3 that I will look at. I hear big bucks though. Quality plus!! You get what you pay for!!

Nice pic!!

mtk2
                  PS: Too bad your smilies don't have a "thumbs up" icon for us motorcyclists.
                  Last edited by mtk2; 27th March 2006, 05:40.

Comment

Good to know there's at least one person here who appreciates bikes!

As for your questions:

Yes, it's a BMW allright. Actually it's a K1200 R, 1200cc, four inline, 163 bhp, weighs approx 230 kg ("wet", that makes approx 210 kg "dry"). This makes it the most powerful series production roadster currently available in the world.

It's not a supersport bike, riding in speeds over 200 km/h is hard due to the poor wind shield, however getting to that speed is done in 4 or 5 seconds, and if you're not into high-speed riding then it's a perfect bike. As long as you keep your cruising speed to 180 km/h give or take a few you're into a gread riding experience. But I've ridden it to speeds in eccess of 260 km/h.

Breaking is very fast and powerful thanks to the Integral ABS in conjunction with a high-performance EVO brake system. Breakes are electronic and power assisted, so when you put your little finger on the lever it makes an electric humming noise...

The bike has an ESA system that enables a rider to adjust the suspension from the handlebars at the touch of a button an operation that can be performed while riding. ESA varies inbound damping on the front wheel, and inbound and re*bound damping on the rear wheel. The rider also has the ability to adjust the rear-wheel spring base electrohydraulically while the motorcycle is at standstill

Bike has BMW's Duolever suspension instead of a standard fork, thus you don't see any "regular" telescopes in front.

Rear suspensionis BMW's Paralever system. The rear tyre designation is 190/50-ZR17 and it is driven by a crank seen at the left side of the bike.

Overall, it's a remarkable machine. I enjoy riding it every day.

As for the things you wrote about my riding etc, well, I don't think I am the best rider around, it's hard to be good if all you're ever ridden was public rodes (we don't have any road racing tracks in Israel). I do my best.

I have a full leather system, but this image was taken with my other riding gear, boots and gloves are Aplinestars, jacket and pants by Daytona and are fully protected.

The above image was taken on a public read in central Israel, thus the white line... I assume I was at 4th gear, approx 140-150 km/h. Unless you're race riding, it's best that you hold your turns at a higher gear, in order to allow more flexibility when you open up the throttle at the end of the apex. On some sport bikes, if you're using a lower gear and you open up the throttle it might cause the rear wheel to loose grip, and that's not something you want to do on a read bike (unlike a dirt bike, where most turns are done by actually forcing the rear wheel to loose grip).

Here is a closeup of the front fork:
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by danielp; 27th March 2006, 07:54.
                    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Very nice!!

The "on the fly" adjustable suspension amazes me as does the "electronically enhanced" brakes. Interesting. BMW, of course!!

I like the inline 4 too. I have never been a fan of the horizontal cylinders. Yours looks so much more clean and sano.

You've gone 260km/hr??? Man, you've got big "huevos" as they say here in the US. Anything over 60mph for me is flying!!

That's why I like dirt bikes. I still get the rush without the risk of death.

I can handle a broken arm. Course, I know this is not your norm and the beamer is probably so smooth that this helps a lot. Still the wind at that speed must be pretty intense.

Bikes, not computers, have always been my passion in life. I am pretty ignorant of computers but am learning.

Right now I own a 2001 KTM 300 EXC. Strictly offroad. I play in the woods in the mountains of Colorado.

I also ride trials. I own a 1994 Gas Gas 250. Have you heard of these? Most people are pretty unaware of trials, much less the bikes. This was the year that won the World Championship for GG in 1994.

I am an old guy (51) so I mainly enjoy the exploring part of riding these days. The street will be something that will come soon as my body rebels against the abuse I put it through during my offroad adventures.

You've got a nice bike there! Good for you!

BTW, is there any dirt bike riding in Israel? How popular are street bikes there?
                      Last edited by mtk2; 28th March 2006, 04:58.

Comment

Originally posted by danielp
                        Good to know there's at least one person here who appreciates bikes!

As for your questions:

Yes, it's a BMW allright. Actually it's a K1200 R, 1200cc, four inline, 163 bhp, weighs approx 230 kg ("wet", that makes approx 210 kg "dry").
                        How does it change from a dry weight to a wet weight? Is that when you take a corner really really fast and give yourself a fright? (Sorry)

The most interesting bike I had the pleasure to ride was a BSA Lightning and I can tell you the wet weight increased at every corner. It was a very heavy machine and it didn't like turning into corners at all. Of course the 1,500 foot drop on the outside of the corner made for a very good incentive to actually make it turn. Was a nice solid bike with a real bike sound, not like the tinny sounding Japanese bikes. I do remember it was a shit of a thing to start and it did have a compression release lever when the kick got a bit tight. Single cylinder 650 if I remember rightly (wasn't mine but a friend let me ride it. He has a Shooting Star as well).

When the Kawasaki 900 was first released (probably before Daniel was born) there were 11 machines imported into New Zealand. Withing 8 months there were only 2 left. Mtk2, if you know these suicide machines you might remember they had a very nasty power band at 8-9,000 rpm. Brought many a rider an early dirt nap.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

You mean a twin, right?
                          Attached Files
                          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Biggles,
                            I do remember these bikes! This one I found is a 1973 model. Nice clean look. I guess they were on par with the Honda 750, in line 4's back then. I remember the K 900's really sounded deep and powerful. Probably did not handle any good. Maybe that was why only 2 were left after only 8 months. I assume you meant people crashed them. Or did you mean they were bought up really fast.

In 1973 I had a Penton 125 (now called KTM) japanese rice burner.

It sure handled good though and made me a much better rider.

Daniel,
                            Is that an old BMW behind the BSA? Both those bikes were sure clean!! I love how the BSA's seat was huge and the BMW's is so small.

I remember my neighbor had a green Triumph 650 that I used to drool over when I was a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by danielp
                              You mean a twin, right?
                              I obviously remember wrongly. (I blame that thought on Al Zymer)

Mtk2, what I meant was these people NEVER needed to buy a bike again. They had closed coffin funerals.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X