No announcement yet.

My IT Career Future

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My IT Career Future

I've been in the IT industry for 8 years (2003-2011). I've been MCSE/MCSA certified in windows 2000 and 2003 since 2003. In 2005, 2006, 2007, i got CCNA, CCNP, and CCSP certified respectively. In 2008, i got MCTS in windows server 2008. After all these mix of IT certifications, i can say that the IT industry was a big waste of my time. I never utilized more than 7% of the knowledge i gained from these certifications. All the jobs i had were very basic in tasks such as user/machine account creation and administration, GPO creation and administration, maximum two domain controllers administration, VLAN creation, ACL creation, and other few basic admin tasks. It is like i was stuck in a help desk level job and nothing more. I've had very bad luck landing a job in an enterprise company. All these jobs were in small companies. Now, whenever i apply for jobs in enterprise companies, they said that my experience isn't enough. I told them that i am old in this industry and have a good knowledge and i can learn complex scenarios. They always say that we need someone with strong MS knowledge. Other Cisco partners said the same and won't hire me. As a result, i am out of work since 2011 and can't find a job. If i wasn't out of work, i would have 12 years experience not 8. I've been studying the same thing over and over in my unemployment time without putting this knowledge in a good use. I got bored from studying active directory, exchange, sccm, ip routing, and lan swithcing over and over. In my opinion, committing technical knowledge in your brain without putting it in practical use is a CURSE. What makes it worse, the dynamic nature of this industry doesn't agree with unemployment. Keeping up with the latest techs is difficult. How can you keep up with latest techs if you couldn't even practice and work in old techs?

I thought about switching to web development career so it will give me more self-employment freedom. Developers have the free will to work as freelancers at anytime and don't get stuck with some idiotic company that never gives you the experience you need. Also, web development doesn't need all these bells and whistles of getting equipments such as routers, switches, firewalls, strong server, bla bla bla. All you need is your laptop, good programming editor, and a browser.

I don't know what to do really. I am now 36 and not sure if switching to development is the right thing to do.

Please help.

Last edited by Technologist35; 12th March 2015, 18:25.

Re: My IT Career Future

Well, if you are not happy as you are, and have the ability to change, do so (IMHO, from a serial career-changer). if you have dependants, mortgages, bills to pay etc, it can be harder.

One good move can be to contracting/freelancing, where you can put all your skills into a range of work, but I don't know what the opportunities are where you are (or even WHERE you are!)

How are your development skills, and how well can you cope with "I don't care about elegant code, JFDI"?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Most companies in my country prefer to hire an in-house IT staff and pay them peanuts instead of hiring a contractor and pay him a salary of 3 employees. Also, most contracting jobs are in the area of ERP (SAP, Dynamics, ..etc), and information security. In other words, contracting are for heavy jobs only when companies can't find qualified individuals to hire. Systems and networking administration are typically being outsourced not contracted.

My development skills are okay, was gained from developing scripts to automate systems. I also know some HTML and CSS.

Originally posted by Technologist35 View Post
          My development skills are okay, was gained from developing scripts to automate systems. I also know some HTML and CSS.
          I wouldn't say that scripting is a help for development in any way.

I can script pretty decently but cannot develop programs in C++, VB, etc.

Go ahead, if that's what will make you happy. I have friends who are very successful freelance IT workers