No announcement yet.

Security to Cloud

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security to Cloud

Hello Friends,

I work as system engineer (Security) in a company (senior position), pretty happy here except the pay.
    I have an offer from AWS as cloud support engineer, good pay compared to the current job but my concern is the growth, i am in higher level now and in AWS i will be in support for cloud mainly for system side but my whole experience is in security. please advice what is the expected growth for a cloud support engineer? Do the promote engineers from support to network or security?

Re: Security to Cloud

Moving this thread to the Coffee Lounge as it is not really relevant to the Security forums.

Does the job description not give you any clues about the skill set needed?
    As far as promotion goes - if you are up to the job, and take responsibility, and go over and above the minimum, you are likely to get promoted

[EDIT - I have deleted your identical thread in the AWS forum - please read and follow the forum rules (linked in every forum) in future - double posting is definitely not allowed ]
    Last edited by Ossian; 21st November 2014, 12:12.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Originally posted by c727f View Post
      please advice what is the expected growth for a cloud support engineer? Do the promote engineers from support to network or security?
      If growth in the company is a concern for you then you should talk to them about it before accepting the position. Unless someone on the forums happens to be management at AWS, there's really no way we can answer the question for you. IMO, being able to have open conversations about growth and direction is something you would want in an employer. If they balk at you asking about it then maybe it's not somewhere you want to work. My $.02.

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond

dude, it's AWS.
        as long as they ytell you there's opportunity to grow..

it's already magnitudes larger than your organisation. a support technican migt be the same as a security engineer at your company..

AWS, like google,. they are innovators...
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

A bit late to this thread, but Gartner are a good place to look at, too

A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Click image for larger version

Name:	rotfl.gif
Views:	25
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	466933 Cloud Security is the new oxymoron.
            Departed: 23rd December 2015