New rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rig

I just got myself a new gaming rig. I had a minor confabulation when I first switched it on. The BIOS screen appeared, then the Windows 8 loading screen appeared, then it all went black. Bugger

Took me half an hour of web searching and examining BIOS settings to think - 'hmmm, I wonder if the HDMI cable to the TV could be the culprit?'. Removed it and much to my relief the configure Windows screen appeared. Phew!

Side View

CPU Cooling

Graphics with sound card nestled between them

RAM

SSD + SATA

Back

Front

Quick spec: 16GB RAM, Quad core i7 4Ghz, 500GB SSD system drive, SoundBlaster card, 5.1 speakers, 3TB SATA drive for media and 500GB SATA drive for games, 2 x GTX 770 2GB SLI, Antec case.
    Last edited by Blood; 20th September 2014, 09:55.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: New rig

Sweeeeeeet!

I've just upgraded my training laptop to SSDs and the difference it makes is amazing!

(for the record: HP Elitebook 8570W, 2.4GHz i7, 32Gb RAM, now 2 x 1TB SSD, Win8 )
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, SSD is astounding. On my previous PC (quad 2GHz, 4GB RAM) my email client took about 30 secs to open (just under 2GB email) and iTunes took about 45 secs to open (600GB, 32600 songs). The email client now opens instantly (with email on the SSD) and iTunes takes just under a second (the music is on a separate SATA HDD).

Comment

I think, for you own piece, err peace of mind that you should ship me that dangerous looking technology and I shall potentially sacrifice myself and give it a thorough workout so it can be declared safe. I figure 24 months of testing should be sufficient to ensure your safety; and please, don't thank me.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Haha - when it was delivered, it arrived on a pallet because it was too heavy to send boxed up. The delivery guy was huge. He lifted it off the lorry, and carried it into my house like he was taking a walk in the park. After he left I tried moving it and nearly slipped a disc

I'd hate for you to potentially sacrifice so much in the line of duty

There is one downside: The CPU cooler is a noisy brute. I regularly play Borderlands 2 and when I fired it up this morning for the first time with all settings on max, the cooler kicked in and it was LOUD

Comment

That isn't loud, THIS is loud
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I love the sound of Merlin in the morning........it sounds like VICTORY!

Blood, do the lights in your town dim when you turn that "thing" one?
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sorry to go but have a look at this Tom, especially at 5 mins and 12 seconds. Think propeller diameter and gauge the aircraft "altitude".

The Brylcreem Boys got the glory but the girls and women in the factories made that opportunity possible. Unsung Heroes. or

Now back to Bloods under RAMed beast.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

OMG! Three days using Windows 8.1. I hate it with a vengeance! Why does Microsoft insist on trying to force you to use Windows in a particular way? Common places placed before drives in Open dialogs - cannot be re-ordered. Lock screen image - cannot browse for an image if the folder it lives in is not in a Library. I did actually seriously consider having Windows 8 on the new PC's we bought earlier this year to replace our ageing XP stock. I'm really pleased that I stuck with Windows 7. It would have been a support nightmare - all my time would have been taken up dealing with simple requests such as how do I open my program; how can I open explorer so that I see the drives and not the Libraries; how can I get easy access to my programs, how can I customise this etc etc.

I hope that Windows 9 is a lot more intuitive and includes ease of access functions such as a browse button, the ability to easily resize application windows launched from the Start screen blah blah.

Other versions of Windows were a lot more user friendly. I fully understand why many businesses are skipping this. Microsoft must have employed a bunch of Yes Men to do their testing. Grrrrrr

Comment

Get hold of the (free) Classic Shell and you will be generally back in your comfort zone
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Thanks, Ossian. I was venting . I will learn how to do this and how to get around these limitations. Hopefully, there are options that be configured (easy to remember) as opposed to registry edits (not so easy to remember).

On the bright side, playing Borderlands 2 with all video settings maxed out and FPS rarely drops below 70, averages 120, rises to 320. Just need to figure a way to hear the gameplay over the noise of the cooler...

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                        Get hold of the (free) Classic Shell and you will be generally back in your comfort zone
                        Just because you lost the YES vote, doesn't give you the right to steal my posts as that was what I was going to say, err type. Given that Windows 9 is looking at having a proper menu the Classic Shell will save you having to learn the Windows 8.1 "menu" quirks.

Blood, use headphones unless you have a nice surround sound speaker set. Alternatively, put the case in a cabinet to help reduce the noise. A LARGE extractor fan will keep the airflow throughput going and keep the noise down. It's just a thought.

Ooops, I forgot to ask what the system cost. Curious only; don't answer if you are not comfortable with releasing that info.
                        Last edited by biggles77; 22nd September 2014, 13:46.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks - thing is I offer PC support to all our staff for their work machines and their home systems should they require it. Learning Windows 8 and all its quirks will help me help them too.

Regarding the noise I do in fact have a 5.1 speaker system. I had one on the 'old' machine but this one is even better. The sound quality is top notch and it does help drown out most of the noise. But, I suspect the neighbours are being tolerant of this.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                            Just because you lost the YES vote, doesn't give you the right to steal my posts as that was what I was going to say, err type. Given that Windows 9 is looking at having a proper menu the Classic Shell will save you having to learn the Windows 8.1 "menu" quirks.
                            Who says I was on the losing side?
                            (although the result allows "Remember the '45" to be resurrected as a battle cry (actually 44.7 but it doesn't have the same ring to it) ). From my point of view, thank <deity> its over, although for how long is a very different matter.

Anyway, you know what they say... If you ain't fast, you're last
                            Tom Jones
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody Loud
                              But, I suspect the neighbours are being tolerant of this
                              Crank up the volume and you won't hear the neighbour's complaints. See, problem solved.

Re Windows 8, have you upgraded to 8.1? Also, unless you have a touch screen I would seriously get the staff to also use the Classic Shell as it makes life a lot easier. When Windows 8 first came out I installed and found the Control Panel in 5 minutes. Had a look around and closed that window. It took me 45 bloody minutes to find the damn thing again. I then waited for the Shell apps to appear.

I have a colleague who purchased a touch screen Asus laptop. He finds it a lot easier to use 8/8.1 that with a mouse. His biggest problem is when he RDPs into a Server 2012 machine and accidently touches the screen. He now had less hair than Yul Brenner.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X