Merkel and Hollande want to avoid servers in USA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merkel and Hollande want to avoid servers in USA

German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Francois Hollande will discuss today how Europe can keep email traffic away from U.S. servers.

Merkel is planning to discuss this issue when she meets her French colleague on Wednesday in Paris. “We will, above all, discuss which European providers we have who offer security for our citizens,” Ms. Merkel said on Saturday in her weekly podcast. “So that you don’t have to go across the Atlantic with emails and other things, but can build up communications networks also within Europe.”

- See more at: http://goo.gl/LUWZnU
    I was wondering if this is technically possible? I mean, is it possible to configure all routers not to forward packets outside of Europe?

Re: Merkel and Hollande want to avoid servers in USA

Presumably there are a limited number of "border" routers (connecting to the fibre-optic cables or the satellite uplinks) so in theory, yes, but how do you distinguish between traffic that should stay in EU or should cross the pond.

Oh, I know, lets inspect and log everyone's traffic - we could call it PRISM
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Presumably a dedicated network would do the job - but considering the ridiculous amount of bureaucracy that exists in the EU it would take them years to finalise it, then award a contract to the lowest bidder who would design it without recourse to efficient consultation with the people who will be using it and BAM! Millions of Euros down the drain...
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian
        Oh, I know, lets inspect and log everyone's traffic - we could call it PRISM
        Oh look, Tom just finished his PRISM sentence. Got out early for good behaviour did we?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X