Issues with running any software as SaaS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with running any software as SaaS

Running a Software as a Service has it's challenges. Internet connectivity issues, speed, upload/download and latency, secure vs. unsecure environments, encryption, stuff like that.

However, there may be additional issues that are related to the management side of the software, and of hosting issues of the database(s) and other components.

What's your take on this? If you had to move a specific client-server application, no matter what it was, to the cloud?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Re: Issues with running any software as SaaS

User rights? A lot of software is still poorly written in regards to needing Administrator level user rights.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      User rights? A lot of software is still poorly written in regards to needing Administrator level user rights.
      Yes, user rights. But not just that.

I thought this topic would bring more interest...
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

For me, security and legislation are the biggest turn-offs to SaaS - the idea of sharing critical business data with (a) the service provider and (b) every Three Letter Agency you can mention does not appeal. Also, how strong are the "Chinese firewalls" between different tenants in the environment and how can you be sure your data is hidden from others.

With regard to legislation, my data comes under the laws of the UK (DPA etc), but can I guarantee the service provider follows the same laws if they aren't necessarily in the same country. I would carry the can if there is a problem.

Additional issues include backups and recovery - I have had experiences with CRM Online where a rollback to the previous night is OK, but a longer one would only be done at a major cost to my client
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi I like it

Comment

Working...
          X