Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1984 is truly upon us in the UK

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/07...ts_in_britain/

It seems the UK Government have now decided that they want to be able to block any "abhorrent search terms" being used by UK internet users and will be enforcing on-by-default filters (which you can opt-out of) on the major UK ISPs.

Whilst I commend any effort to remove any content involving violence or abuse towards women or children from the internet, I have grave fears about how this proposal will be used. Who decides what is "abhorrent" (E.g. Page 3 Girls are offensive to some people) and where will it end? For example, will search terms that may be embarrassing to the Government be censored in future? Weapons of Mass Destruction and Expenses Scandals spring to mind. Given that not so very long ago a father was ejected from a UK shopping centre for taking a picture of his child under anti-terrorism rules, and that parents are not allowed to film their children's sports days without written consent from every other parent "just in case" I really fear that these optional filters will become compulsory before long, and then large parts of the internet will be blocked to the UK soon after.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Re: 1984 is truly upon us in the UK

George Orwell must be turning like a pinwheel in his grave. His date wasn't that far off but it is just getting worse and worse.

They tried to put a national filter on OZ but had a "secret list" of sites that were to be blocked. Seems some butcher (I think) had his site hacked and it was on the list because the hacker had uploaded something the gestapo govt had objected to.

This is very much like Prohibition in the US all those years ago and see how well that worked. Guess someone will become rich selling VPN to bypass the filter. Really bloody stupid. Guess you won't be able to view the US TSA searches on Youtube as some of them are really quite abhorrent and objectionable.

Wait until the brain scanners can detect what your are thinking............
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

And, as per usual, the government has not really thought this through. This is blatantly apparent when you view the responses from search firms who have 'grave doubts' (as reported on Radio 4 last night) about the effectiveness of these proposals.

Why is the government unable to liase properly with those who know about these things rather than unilaterally dumping their uneducated opnions on us all??
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

When is your next election?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          When is your next election?
          Unfortunately it won't make the slightest difference as both groups of numpties are as bad as each other.

I had better edit this post before Petri goes on the black list

(May 2015, btw)

I have a lot of comments about the whole proposal, but will post a considered viewpoint later
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            Unfortunately it won't make the slightest difference as both groups of numpties are as bad as each other.
            It's funny sometimes how life imitates art. Billy Connolly has on many occasions said that the desire to be a politician should preclude you from ever being one. He proposed people having to serve time in public office, like national service, which would exlcude power hungry public school idiots who have never lived in the real world.

In a further imitation of art (Brewster's Millions) I would very much like to be able to vote "None of the Above" at the next exlection.
            Last edited by cruachan; 25th July 2013, 15:12.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Well if it is anything like the blocking attempt they tried here in NoddyOZ Land, it won't happen coz it just wasn't possible to do. The ISPs were totally against and they even did a trial in a small out of the way state (apologies to any Tazweagians reading) and it showed how badly it worked. Speeds slowed down substantially and I think the ISPs would have had to spend a ship load of dosh to get the filtering right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interne...p_in_Australia

The backdown. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1226514016339

As you can see from the Wikipedia article (if you read it), a lot of sites got blocked "accidently" and with the secret list, sites that didn't agree with the govt of the day could easily be added to the list. One party was added, The Australian Sex Party, so it wasn't just to protect consenting adults from the naughty stuff. If it had been implemented, OZ would have been put in the same censored range as China and Iran. Nice to live in such a wonderful democratic country. Democracy, freedom to say and do things (within obvious reason of course) without the fear of being locked up and tortured for expressing your views. A democratic country where if you don't exercise your democratic freedom in an election and choose to NOT vote in it, YOU GET FINED!! Gets to be a pain due to the Feral, State and local Council all having elections at different times. Miss one and the fine is in the mail.

A bit but I remember reading a Penthouse article (yes, I just bought it for the articles) many, many years ago when around about 1776, the USA had 1 bureaucrat for ever 76,000 citizens. The article, written not long after 1976 stated that there was now 1 bureaucrat for every 33. That is 33 citizens and NOT 33,000. Your taxes at work. This is why govts want to be able to censor information sources like the Internet. They want to control any negative articles being published about them. The UK do this to the news media through a D5 notice. However as can bee seen from a case in Israel involving a certain "Prisoner X" and a similar type of "security restriction" was placed on the Israeli news media to stop them from publishing information about the circumstances of prisoner X, once it got onto Twitter and other social media sites, their D5 equivalent was rendered useless.

I would imagine any blanket filter imposed against the will of the people in a democratic country would quickly garner the attention of some Anonymous organisation.

I asked about the election date because it may have just been an attempt to sway the various religious groups to vote for them. Had a situation in OZ where 1 Independent religious nut job held the balance of power with his vote and he got all sorts of concessions just to win his vote. Problem was that he didn't represent the "unmoral" or moral majority of people in this country. Imagine what that tosspot could have insisted was blocked by a national filter. A filter is far to open to abuse by those with political agendas that only benefit their views and not that of the general population. (sorry, went WAY )
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I get an internal server error when trying to access the article

I can do a search from the main page for 'mandatory web filter' and the results include references the 'dumped' filter. But I get an http 500 message when trying to access them....
                A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

I once wrote that today's "terrorists" that get on these black lists are the ones that use (or want to use) bombs. Tomorrow, it'll be the ones that participated in some anti government protest, or who bought the wrong book, or who searched for the wrong term on the Internet (well all that happens today).

Give power to someone, and sit back and look how they abuse it.
                  Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                  Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by A Wise Man
                    Give power to someone, and sit back and look how they abuse it.
                    Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Interesting what you said about terrorists. Reminds me of all the democratically elected Governments in a lot of different countries that got deposed by CIA back "terrorists" or the corrupt ones who were propped up with CIA backing.

A little know person called Vladimir Lenin said the object of terrorism was to terrorise. It is interesting that the measures brought in by various Governments (it is important to distinguish between the use of the words Government and country) to "combat" terrorist attacks have actually resulted in the Governments causing a small to sometime a not so small degree of terror and angst themselves. Did someone just mention TSA???
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X