Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The demise of Microsoft Technet - Please read

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The demise of Microsoft Technet - Please read

    As most of you know, Microsoft have, for a long time, offered "TechNet Plus", a subscription service which, for a reasonable annual fee, offered unlimited use versions of most of their products for "planning and evaluation" purposes (i.e. not for commercial use). MCTs even got this subscription as part of their membership.

    One of the benefits of TechNet is the ability to get access to many versions of software, not just the latest (MS DOS is even available) allowing migrations and upgrades to be planned and evaluated.

    Recently, Microsoft have announced that they will be withdrawing TechNet Plus as not being relevant any more (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../ms772427.aspx) Instead time limited versions of the latest software will be available (but not the older products). For most TechNet users, this is about as much use as a <insert suitable metaphor of choice>

    There is a petition (I did not create it) requesting Microsoft to reconsider their decision, and I would ask anyone who reads this, and is affected by the TechNet changes, to sign and add comments. If you have any other "pull" with Microsoft, please use your influence to get them to change their mind.
    The petition is at: https://www.change.org/petitions/con...native-to-msdn

    As we have seen with the XBOne recently, Microsoft are willing to change their mind if enough people express the other opinion. Let's see what we can do!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

  • #2
    Re: The demise of Microsoft Technet - Please read

    Originally posted by Ossian View Post
    As most of you know, Microsoft have, for a long time, offered "TechNet Plus", a subscription service which, for a reasonable annual fee, offered unlimited use versions of most of their products for "planning and evaluation" purposes (i.e. not for commercial use). MCTs even got this subscription as part of their membership.

    One of the benefits of TechNet is the ability to get access to many versions of software, not just the latest (MS DOS is even available) allowing migrations and upgrades to be planned and evaluated.

    Recently, Microsoft have announced that they will be withdrawing TechNet Plus as not being relevant any more (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../ms772427.aspx) Instead time limited versions of the latest software will be available (but not the older products). For most TechNet users, this is about as much use as a <insert suitable metaphor of choice>

    There is a petition (I did not create it) requesting Microsoft to reconsider their decision, and I would ask anyone who reads this, and is affected by the TechNet changes, to sign and add comments. If you have any other "pull" with Microsoft, please use your influence to get them to change their mind.
    The petition is at: https://www.change.org/petitions/con...native-to-msdn

    As we have seen with the XBOne recently, Microsoft are willing to change their mind if enough people express the other opinion. Let's see what we can do!
    Signed.

    I personally think its a disgrace to cancel TechNet.

    I'm currently downloading everything it can get from them at the moment, along with keys, so I will have a back catalogue of products.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: The demise of Microsoft Technet - Please read

      Wow. I was not aware of this. The TechNet subscription program is one of the most valuable tools for those of us who implement and support Microsoft technologies.

      This is akin to taking the volt meter away from the electrician or the plunger from the plumber.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: The demise of Microsoft Technet - Please read

        Originally posted by Someone
        along with keys,
        I know a person who used to have a TechNet account who did the exact same thing before my, err his subscription expired. Only problem was this idiot saved the keys as an MHT file. Imagine his surprise a week later when he looked at the saved keys and they were no longer in the MHT file.

        Also, install keys don't work after subscription expires but I believe if you keep using an installed product then it keeps working. That's what I have been told.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: The demise of Microsoft Technet - Please read

          Wow... wasn't aware of this either. I've signed it even though it doesn't impact me directly (ee operate under an enterprise agreement). Ill bring this up with our MS TAM to see if there's any info I can get from him and share it with the group...
          Rules of life:
          1. Never do anything that requires thinking after 2:30 PM
          2. Simplicity is godliness
          3. Scale with extreme prejudice


          I occasionally post using a savantphone, so please don't laugh too hard at the typos...

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: The demise of Microsoft Technet - Please read

            So I talked at length with our TAM about this. he provided me much the same information that is already available on their public site. I havent read the entirety of what is publicly available, but he did share some internal publication stuff and said I was free to distribute it... but alas, its 16k characters and the limit is 10k...

            If anyone is interested in some MS branded marketing stuff, I can post it, but unless you want it I'm not going to waste forum space with two large posts...
            Rules of life:
            1. Never do anything that requires thinking after 2:30 PM
            2. Simplicity is godliness
            3. Scale with extreme prejudice


            I occasionally post using a savantphone, so please don't laugh too hard at the typos...

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: The demise of Microsoft Technet - Please read

              Originally posted by userPrincipalName View Post
              So I talked at length with our TAM about this. he provided me much the same information that is already available on their public site. I havent read the entirety of what is publicly available, but he did share some internal publication stuff and said I was free to distribute it... but alas, its 16k characters and the limit is 10k...

              If anyone is interested in some MS branded marketing stuff, I can post it, but unless you want it I'm not going to waste forum space with two large posts...
              That's interesting. Can you send that to me? Either in the PM or by email? My address is Daniel at this domain name.

              Thanks!
              Cheers,

              Daniel Petri
              Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: The demise of Microsoft Technet - Please read

                Originally posted by userPrincipalName View Post
                So I talked at length with our TAM about this. he provided me much the same information that is already available on their public site. I havent read the entirety of what is publicly available, but he did share some internal publication stuff and said I was free to distribute it... but alas, its 16k characters and the limit is 10k...

                If anyone is interested in some MS branded marketing stuff, I can post it, but unless you want it I'm not going to waste forum space with two large posts...
                I'll have a look as well.

                send it to wullieb1 at gmail dot com please.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: The demise of Microsoft Technet - Please read

                  Me too, please, and I can host it without problems
                  tom dot jones at Ossian dot biz

                  Did your MS TAM get a sense of the growing anger in the IT community at getting dumped upon from a great height once again.

                  I was just prepping one of the Win8 training courses and it asks the trainer to "activate using your provided TechNet key" so clearly someone hasn't been talking to someone else.
                  Last edited by Ossian; 19th July 2013, 07:00.
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

                  ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: The demise of Microsoft Technet - Please read

                    Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                    Me too, please, and I can host it without problems
                    tom dot jones at Ossian dot biz

                    Did your MS TAM get a sense of the growing anger in the IT community at getting dumped upon from a great height once again.

                    I was just prepping one of the Win8 training courses and it asks the trainer to "activate using your provided TechNet key" so clearly someone hasn't been talking to someone else.
                    Oh silly MicroDorks! Senior Premier Field Engineers excluded from that of course.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: The demise of Microsoft Technet - Please read

                      I'm actually working on an article about this for the editorial side of the Petri IT Knowledgebase -- if you want to share your thoughts about the change (and be publicly quoted in an article) just drop me a private message.

                      - Jeff
                      -------------------------------------------------------
                      Jeff James
                      Editorial Director, Content and Community - www.petri.com
                      Twitter: https://twitter.com/jeffjames3
                      LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jeffjames3

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: The demise of Microsoft Technet - Please read

                        Hey all.

                        I finally read through the public statement and what my TAM provided me. Its the same stuff nearly verbatim. I was hoping for a bit more of a personal statement from MS on this, but it seems they are either:

                        1) Already being transparent and very forthcoming with their public statement...
                        or
                        2) Holding their internal stuff close to the vest on this one

                        Although I have a great relationship with our TAM, I'm thinking #2 is more likely.

                        I held on to responding to this thread in hopes our TAM would return with some more info, but alas, he seems to have gone to ground on me. The last I spoke with him he was going to talk with the (?) Product Group about it, but I honestly dont think I'll get any more information than what is publicly available...
                        Rules of life:
                        1. Never do anything that requires thinking after 2:30 PM
                        2. Simplicity is godliness
                        3. Scale with extreme prejudice


                        I occasionally post using a savantphone, so please don't laugh too hard at the typos...

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X