A challange

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A challange

Challenge: Over the next few years we may have more and more different kinds of devices joining our network and using our resources, like our Internet connection and our server-based resources (such as file storage space). These devices may be iOS, Android, Chromebooks, Windows machines or Mac computers. We will also have office workers who require Windows-based infrastructure and perhaps OSX users who need access to our server infrastructure. Currently we employ a windows-centric server structure with authentication achieved through Active Directory but already face challenges with our Mac computers and our existing iOS devices.

How can we change our server and network infrastructure to accomodate these changing needs?

Your proposed solution(s) should answer these questions:
    How can we better secure and manage our wireless network to provide resources to teachers and employees quickly and efficiently and also provide Internet access to users (students and guests) who bring their own devices to campus?
    How can we manage the devices that connect to our network efficiently so unauthorized devices are not using resources and student activity on the network is monitored and safe (students are not accessing sites they should not)?
    How can we integrate OSX client computers, desktops and laptops, into our system efficiently?
    How can we provide storage space to teachers and students from on-campus and off-campus securely and via any device (tablet or computer)?
    How can we manage the devices on our network to deploy applications and services quickly and efficiently (deploying apps to iPads, pushing updates to Mac and Windows computers)?

Re: A challange

Not appropriate for the Wall of Fame forum so moved to coffee lounge.

Is this your university homework assignment?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

No No i need to provide a solution to that .Its a project for me here.your help will be highly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by sonoftipu View Post
        No No i need to provide a solution to that .Its a project for me here.your help will be highly appreciated.
        Now why don't I believe you

How can we better secure and manage our wireless network to provide resources to teachers and employees quickly and efficiently and also provide Internet access to users (students and guests) who bring their own devices to campus?
        How can we manage the devices that connect to our network efficiently so unauthorized devices are not using resources and student activity on the network is monitored and safe (students are not accessing sites they should not)?
        How can we integrate OSX client computers, desktops and laptops, into our system efficiently?
        How can we provide storage space to teachers and students from on-campus and off-campus securely and via any device (tablet or computer)?
        How can we manage the devices on our network to deploy applications and services quickly and efficiently (deploying apps to iPads, pushing updates to Mac and Windows computers)?

Comment

Sonoftipu,
          I've just deleted your identical post in the same forum -- you have been a member long enough to know the rules

Given the range of qualifications your profile says you have, you should have no difficulty completing this yourself, probably before lunch

I concur with Wullie, btw
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

My friend ,I am a Cisco guy actually.these things are new for me

Comment

My friend ,I am a Cisco guy actually.these things are new for me
              You are having a laugh aren't you.

Almost all of the questions you have asked are network related in some way.

Also if your the "network" guy then why are they asking you to do this rather than the storage engineer or the Windows engineer.

Comment

I've a perfect solution which is costly however it's also in investment for the future. However I'm not going to do any free consultancy and therefore I do suggest to hire consultants or write an RfP where companies can respond on.
                The solution which popped in my head would work completely different then you might used to but would also give some greater flexibility.
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                  I've a perfect solution which is costly however it's also in investment for the future. However I'm not going to do any free consultancy and therefore I do suggest to hire consultants or write an RfP where companies can respond on.
                  The solution which popped in my head would work completely different then you might used to but would also give some greater flexibility.
                  I know what Marcel is talking about and it is mindblowing. It will future proof your site for years and cater for, I believe, most if not all BYODs. Is that correct Marcel? All or just most? I just wish we could impliment it where we were talking about.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes it's the thing we talked about earlier
                    About the BYOD, it depends a bit about the available clients for the BYOD. But at least the most devices are supported.
                    Marcel
                    Technical Consultant
                    Netherlands
                    http://www.phetios.com
                    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

help is required about MAC

Can anyone help please?

Comment

Re: help is required about MAC

I'm merging this with your other thread where you ask more or less the same question -- and all advice given there still stands
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Working...
                        X