X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secure Industrial OS

Did you folks see this:

http://www.zdnet.com/eugene-kaspersk...24/?s_cid=e589

One of the fears of cyber-espionage, particularly if carried out by terrorist organisations, is the very real possibility of gas, electric, etc companies being targeted.

I'm all for this. Tailored systems which are designed to be secure can only be a good thing.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: Secure Industrial OS

Essential Services providers should be required to keep their CnC systems completely off-net.

if it's off-net, and you have to go to a room to control it, then you reduce, if not eliminate, the possibility of remote attack vectors in that way. It requires a human to knowingly and deliberately enter the system and enter relevant commands.

Additionally, if it's offnet, even if Fred takes his infected usb drive in there, it's not going to work, because it's off-net, so yes it'll be infected, but it can't talk back to the nefarious servers for instruction.

if it's really that critical and important, it should be as off-net as you can make it
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Yes, I agree, but that is only part of it. There is also the possibility not just of data theft but also of data/system destruction. It seems to me that terrorist cyber-attacks are not concerned with stealing data but with incapacitating infrastructure.
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        Additionally, if it's offnet, even if Fred takes his infected usb drive in there, it's not going to work, because it's off-net, so yes it'll be infected, but it can't talk back to the nefarious servers for instruction.
        Can you say Stuxnet?
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X