No announcement yet.

3rd line job advice please

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd line job advice please

I have have some great advice already from this site and wondered if someone with banking or retail 3rd line experience could help answer the following. I have some knowledge but was hoping for more detailed answers to fill the gaps if possible;

1. What exactly does a 3rd line Wintel BAU / Project engineer job entail. Please can you detail as much as possible as to what this job is with regards to day to day work. I understand server builds is part of this but how often would an engineer build a server for example? Is it just a case of working from call assignments from For Example Remedy or TfS?

2. How long would a 3rd line engineer spend working with GPO, DNS, DHCP, WINS, TCP/IP, AD, Exchange, SCCM, SCOM and other similar Wintel services during a typical 3rd line engineers BAU day?

2. Remote Desktop Implementation. What does it mean to support this at a 3rd line level? What is a 3rd line BAU engineers involvement exactly?

3. One other random question. But when creating an Active Directory group how does this link to an application exactly? I understand you add users to the AD group in order to have read write or read only access to a particular application, but what are the mechanics behind this group linking to an application or micrsoft system SCCM or SCOM for example?

Re: 3rd line job advice please

BAU normally stands for "Business As Usual" (supporting generally rather than, for example, a migration or deployment project) and IMHO covers so many unknowns that most of your questions cannot easily be answered. You will be working at MCSA/E level, supporting trained technicians, so you will probably not be interacting directly with users very much, but you could be dealing with anything from a bad server crash to an exchange connectivity failure, and almost anything else you could think of.

Regarding the groups, you use them to assign permissions, possibly to an application directory, or as a way of creating a SCCM collection to target application deployment.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **