No announcement yet.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• contracting

Just a silly question. I was thinking of taking on a contract that requires me to have strong knowledge of SCCM, SCOM, SCVMM, Exchange, AD and Sharepoint

I have maybe a few months experience of all these technologies from a theory perspective not much hands on server build and implementation experience. My question is that I have had contract offers. Basically with my 2nd line experience how would I fair going straight into a 3rd line contract role? I understand the basics of 3rd line work but not had much hands on experience.

Are there contractors out there that learn on the job so to speak? What is a BAU 3rd line job really like from a contractors point of view, and how much time would they allow realistcally to get up to speed with these technologies?

Is it acceptable for contractors to work from tutorials, how to guides or are they expected to be experts in most technologies from top of their head?

Any contracting advise would be much appreciated

Re: contracting

If the contract specified x months (or years) experience, you will be expected to hit the ground running, obviously getting some time to understand the environment you are in. IMHO if you do not feel confident doing this, you should not pretend you do.

In general, you are expected to have a broad understanding of the technology, but it is well accepted that this does not equate to "know everything without reference to google" (or to put it another way, do not get caught reading the manual )

Again IMHO, be honest with the company, possibly negotiate a trial period where you demonstrate you DO have the skills they need.

Good Luck!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Thank you for the sensible advice Tom much appreciated. I am a quick learner, but companies don't give the opportunity unless you have experience, catch 22 situation I find. I think I could do the work, but may perhaps need more time than an experienced contractor to get up to speed with things, and of course google would be point of reference most times

They did ask how I rate my skills for all technologies metioned out of 10 and I said 6 (10 being best) Is that reasonable for me to say I did say I was a 6 once started?

I'm 50 / 50 on whether to take the risk, but then I am willing to work hard and learn fast. Just want some advice on how much time they would allow. I can't tell the employer this or they will get someone else experienced.

What you reckon having said that?

From an employer/manager point of view - I'd be pretty pissed if you came along and lied, and I gave you the job and I had to terminate your contract and find someone else.

But from an employee point of view, what's the worst that could happen? You may not have all the necessary skills and may not get up to speed quick enough, so they might terminate the contract.

so the question really on a personal level is - are you leaving a solid permanent job to take this contracting opportunity, where in 3 months time (or less!) you could have no position at all..?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

IME contract jobs almost always ask the impossible in terms of experience and/or qualifications. I've seen jobs asking for MCSE, CCNA and VMWare as a minimum with various other things (E.g. BES, Avaya experience) and offering salaries that no MCSE would countenance.

My policy when I was contracting (a few years ago now) was to be honest, and admit the areas where I was strongest and weakest. Usually the employer will have priorities in what they want, and it's often the case (Again IME) that the person doing the hiring didn't write the job description, particularly with larger companies.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          Cruachan's Blog

Thanks for advice guys