Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Hosted Exchange providers that offer this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Hosted Exchange providers that offer this?

Hi all long time no see

I'm after a Hosted Exchange provider that meets the following three requirements. So far I've found plenty that meet #1 and #2 but none that meet #3. Does anybody know of one please?

1) Must allow for a single mailbox, rather than having a minimum requirement
    2) Must allow for multiple domains to be pointed at that mailbox, ideally at no extra charge
    3) Must allow for the alias *@domain to be configured, rather than configuring each alias separately

I've spoken to sales reps at around 20 providers now and none of them offer #3. I realise that this increases the chances of getting spam, but even so most of the spam I get comes to my "real" address anyway. Besides which, the vendors which offer "other" email platforms as well do allow catchalls on those other platforms.

Thanks!
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Re: Any Hosted Exchange providers that offer this?

Hi Gareth, might I suggest you contact Sembee. Being an Exchange aficionado I would imagine he may be the best person to ask unless someone reading your post already has the required hosting package.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Exchange is not really designed for catchalls, unless you specificly configure it you wont find it. Non-MS mailservers do have that option built in so more providers offer it. I highly doubt you will find a Hosted exchange provider at all that will do this.
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Thanks guys. I guess I'm going to have to look at other platforms again.

Does anybody have any recommendations that meet my three requirements? I don't mind paying a reasonable monthly fee - I don't anticipate there will be many free platforms that suit. The exception to that might be a free Google Apps account, but I believe that only offers a 2GB mailbox and I'm looking for more than that.

Thanks again
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Google Apps is actually around 7gb, for the free one. And $50 per year for paid (25gb). It does meet all your requirements.
          "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

maybe look at a hygiene platform instead of a hosted exchange?

and, forgive stupid question, have you spoken to Office365 ?
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
              maybe look at a hygiene platform instead of a hosted exchange?

What is a hygiene platform?

I hadn't thought of Office 365. Something to look at tomorrow

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
              Google Apps is actually around 7gb, for the free one. And $50 per year for paid (25gb). It does meet all your requirements.
              I may look into that some more then, I hadn't realised you got 7GB. Plus as it's free for up to 10 users, I could always split out old emails into other mailboxes to archive by year.

The only issue with Google Apps as far as I can see is that they only support a catchall for the primary domain, not for additional domains: http://support.google.com/a/bin/answ...&answer=182081

Originally posted by Google
              Email routing settings apply only to the primary domain. You cannot specify a catch-all address for a non-primary domain, nor configure dual delivery of mail.
              Gareth Howells

Comment

Just remember that anything that is "Cloud Hosted" you sort of lose contact with if your ISP goes offline. It is also worthwhile fully reading an understanding Googles T & C. Must check to see if they have modified a sub clause under Term 11. It was a doozy!!
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                  Must check to see if they have modified a sub clause under Term 11. It was a doozy!!
                  Oh? How so?
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Before it (rule 11) was modified it basically said that they owned your data and could share it with anyone they felt like. I may have even posted a screen shot of the evil rule on this site somewhere.
                    Must go and read it again now that I believe it has been changed.
                    BRB

Boy, have they changed their Terms of Service. I will try and find the original/previous copy I had so you can see what they "promised".

New ToS. http://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/terms/
                    Last edited by biggles77; 4th May 2012, 06:21.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                      Looks like they don't offer catchalls either.

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
                      Google Apps is actually around 7gb, for the free one.
                      Are you sure it's 7GB? All the literature I've found says 2GB. Naturally, Google has hidden all of the information regarding the Standard edition so I can't find an official answer.

Sadly, it looks like it will have to be Google Apps, at least until I can find something else.
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

I don't know what platform they use, but BT do offer *@domain.co.uk with their hosted mailboxes. We had a customer using POP3 from them and migrated them to Exchange, then found that we had to create an email alias for every one of their clients who emailed in using their customer number as the target address. Exchange of course rejected the unknown addresses.
                        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                        sigpic
                        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Exchange supports catchalls. As such, I fail to see why no Hosted Exchange providers offer it, in fact several claim that Exchange can't do it. Given the effectiveness of spam filtering today, I think it's absolutely ridiculous that providers would claim a catchall address leads to too much spam.

Anyway it looks like I may have dodged a bullet and may not need to go with Google. Anybody used ZohoMail? It looks like it offers everything I'm looking for.
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

Originally posted by gforceindustries View Post
                            Looks like they don't offer catchalls either.
                            Are you sure it's 7GB? All the literature I've found says 2GB. Naturally, Google has hidden all of the information regarding the Standard edition so I can't find an official answer.
                            Just for the record google now offers 10gb.

Not saying its for you, but its certainly not 2gb. Maybe thats where is started.

Comment

Does it need to be hosted Exchange?

I'm sure there are hosted providers using Zafara or Zimbra that would probably delight in being able to provide you with something Hosted Exchange providers can't... Both of the above have some very Outlook-ish themes to make the webmail feel at home, on top of proper Outlook integration.

Comment

Working...
                              X