Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pirated DVD

Hi,

I just bought Dexter Season 3 off eBay only I think it might be a pirate DVD. For information my DVD region is region 2 (UK/Europe).

I first suspected it when I noticed the blockiness of the picture ... I have a 42" screen it's true but I've never known a legit DVD be that bad quality. Nearest I ever saw to that was a friend who downloaded a copy of "Let Me In" (Swedish version) because he'd heard it was a good film and the opening scenes were so full of artefacts he turned it off after 10 minutes and bought the DVD.

Following that I began to research it and now have the following reasons for suspecting it is pirate:

• The video quality mentioned above which implies some significant compression.
    • The cover artwork which is the Region 1 US version (a shoulders/head shot of Dexter in some kind of smart sports jacket) where the artwork for R2 seems to be a very clean white and red look with a shoulders/head shot of Dexter looking more serious and wearing white.
    • Despite the above the DVD plays on my bluray player which cannot play region 1 DVD's implying it is region 0 (region free) ... to my knowledge no series of Dexter on DVD is available legally region free.
    • Putting disk 2 (4 episodes of approx. 50 mins with no extras) in my PC indicates there 0 of 4.35GB remaining (implying a single layer DVD), some comparable series weighed in at 7.1GB (The Mentalist S1, Disk 1), 6.87GB (Babylon 5 S3, Disk 3), 7.64GB (Criminal Minds S1, Disk 5) & 5.97GB (Buffy S3, Disk 3).

It's true he (the seller) does say it works both region 1 & 2 (I only checked it did R2 before I bought) and I don't think he's actually a seller of pirate DVD's (as in routinely doing so, per a business) per se but by the same token I do not think he should sell something he (presumably knowingly purchased pirated) to me.

So I wonder if anyone here has a copy of Dexter S3 and can check the data size of disk 2 in their PC ... under Windows 7 it's easy enough, put the disk in and check in computer, you'll see a DVD drive and a data size (0 of X.XXGB) below it. If you can please can you let me know along with what region it is and whether it is from a reputable seller or not ... I've attached a picture to show what I mean.

Thx

Keke
    Attached Files
    J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
    The Abyssal Void War: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Re: Pirated DVD

While I can see the logic here, you ahve to remember that different Drives for different DVD's will display things differently (Mine Displays Length of Play if I put a movie DVD in there).

Also, If there is any concern of the Movie being ripped, then I would contact the Seller on Ebay and let them know. Mention the less then DVD quilty, as well as the incorrect DVD cover.

I would investigate the quilty of the DVD, as in Color and the way the tracks of the DVD line up with everything else. You should really be able to tell if the DVD is ripped, as it will look like a Burnable DVD, and not a Printed DVD.

But as someone who has been bitten by this from the other end, give them the option to re-deem themselfs before contact Ebay, as Ebay is very black and white, adn this guy might of just been given a dodgy DVD. There is also a guide on Ebay for this type of thing. http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-tell-...00000001134744

Other then that, you should be able to run it though some software and see if it has been burnt or printed, but you should be able ot tell by turning the DVD over.

Wofen
    Good to be back....

Comment

Originally posted by Wofen View Post
      While I can see the logic here, you ahve to remember that different Drives for different DVD's will display things differently (Mine Displays Length of Play if I put a movie DVD in there).
      Possibly although I'm actually asking for people to check in their Windows PC ... anyway, I bit the bullet, and have bought a proper copy (UK R2 legit) so in a few days I'll be able to tell myself.

My intent, as you suggest (and assuming I am right), is to contact him first and if he refunds I'll let it drop ... he doesn't look like he's actually a dealer in such stuff anyway.

Thx for the link as well

Keke

Comment

Cool, yeah Pirate is just one of the terms you do not want to sling around on Ebay, as it can really effect innocent people.

Possibly although I'm actually asking for people to check in their Windows PC
        I was talking about in my PC, my Panasonic DVD player shows me the time, and if I got Properties, it does not give me size of disk, but Lenght of Playtime on Disk.

Different Fireware reads different coding differently.

Wofen
        Good to be back....

Comment

Never gave a final update on this did I?

I got the proper UK set and there is no doubt the ones I first bought were pirated ... all the disks were around 7GB (varying sizes) whilst the pirated ones were all exactly 4.35GB (implying something like DVD Shrink was used).

I got my refund and he was apparently pushing back on his seller.

Keke

Comment

Well done.
            A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
            X