Internet Copyright

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Copyright

As the editor of a little Club news letter it has become obvious to me what a complete farce copyright on the wonderful Internet has become. We are constantly told that EVERY site is protected by universal copyright, unless as is rarely the case like mine it clearly states it is all Freeware. So why is there such a vast amount of information proudly displayed all over the net if we are not supposed to make use of it such a republishing elsewhere without permission.

This is especially the case when the majority of authors of such material do not have the courage to publish their email address in order to seek permission, and often fail to answer such requests if submitted. I have even seen sites that boldly claim all information is FREE, yet still display a silly copyright notice at the foot with no link to contact the owners of the site

Mad, mad internet

Gordon S.

Re: Internet Copyright

Do a WHOIS on the site
    ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet
      Mad, mad internet
      Not necessarily. I think you may find there are legal reasons for this. What happens if someone takes your FREE program that you have developed and then slightly modifies it and makes millions od dollars from it. Would you not want some sort of compensation for what is essentially your work?
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

As other programmers I know do most of whom are far more clever than me, I would not publish the code if I did not want others to tinker with it and use it.

However the opinion of one in another forum below may be of interest.

Hi Gordon, citations on the web usually follow the 'better to ask forgiveness than ask permission' rule. In good practice, it is ok to cite something as long as the original author is properly credited (provide the originating URL, and use the often forgotten HTML tag). After you post it, send a note to the author (via email or otherwise). Most authors are happy to see their content manifest in other places on the web as long as they are given credit. In some cases the author may demand royalties(usually when it comes to photos or artwork) and when that happens its best to pay up or remove the offending content. Cheers, Max.

Comment

Also, unless it's under common copyright and the correct credit is given, a blatant copy / paste is a big no no.
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Well I am afraid I have to disagree with all you purists, as I have sent a letter to a UK National newspaper.

As it points out at http://mason.gmu.edu/~montecin/copyright-internet.htm suggested by a lady in a local forum

Copyright and the Internet is still in a state of flux and many issues are not resolved.

It seems to me if someone wishes to proudly boast of some achievement by publishing it on the Internet, but then does not bother or want to take the risk of publishing their email address on the site as I do, I suspect any Court of Law would find it very difficult to upheld a case of breach of copyright, because it was impossible to contact the author for permission to use the material.

Gordon S.

Comment

Maybe, however all domain names have to have valid contact information, so you can't say there was no way to contact them.

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
                Maybe, however all domain names have to have valid contact information, so you can't say there was no way to contact them.
                Unless

Originally posted by Whois
                Registrant type:
                UK Individual
                Registrant's address:
                The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their address omitted from the WHOIS service.
                You could try contacting the registrar, but I wouldn't be optimistic about getting a timely response.

Plus all the domains registered with fake contact details, which have never been challenged.
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

This is why our Club committee has decided as Editor even if after a few weeks I fail to get permission, I only need to publish a copy of my email requesting permission.

Crazy Internet

Comment

Is this a case where Copyright may be Copywrong?
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X