Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The future of in house IT support in the cloud computing era ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The future of in house IT support in the cloud computing era ?

As now people hears a lot about the cloud computing and its benefits to reduce the cost and system management overhead, so I wonder if the IT Core Infrastructure career will still be open or useful in the near future as more and more server is now deployed in the cloud.

Please share your thoughts and comment regarding the cloud computing era and what could be the future of IT Professional opportunities when everything is offloaded into the 3rd party cloud provider.

Any kind of response and alternative scenario will be good to share here.

Re: The future of in house IT support in the cloud computing era ?

There are plenty of none cloud opportunities around. We have one client who has used a "cloud" solution for many years and there is plenty of work supporting the local IT infrastructure.

Not everyone is as keen on the latest buzzword as you may expect. I know of one company considering it however the costs on a yearly basis are higher than buying a brand new local network each year.

Comment

Unconcerned personally, cloud computing will fall by the wayside after the first catastrophic data loss occurs. Just look at what's happening with Sony at the moment, the lawyers are already sharpening their fountain pens over the Playstation Network.

Industry always moves in cycles, this is another one, IMO.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
        Unconcerned personally, cloud computing will fall by the wayside after the first catastrophic data loss occurs. Just look at what's happening with Sony at the moment, the lawyers are already sharpening their fountain pens over the Playstation Network.

Industry always moves in cycles, this is another one, IMO.
        This ^^^
        There's a HUGE amount of caveats with cloud computing especially around security. Is that something vendors are willing to take risks on especially with legal compliance(s).
        Cloud computing has many benefits but much like years ago when PC desktops became a defacto standard because network infrastructures weren't mature enough, Cloud computing likewise has to reach a level of very good maturity before it can be widely adopted as the norm.

Comment

Cloud is a word that has 1 letter too many. I dislike it with a vengence. MS tried in the mid to late 90s to get ISPs to licence out their apps so if we needed to type a Word document we would logon to your ISP, start the Word app and type your document. You would pay the ISP a license fee and the ISP would pay MS. I could see the dangers then just as I see them now. Once apps are only available online the price would increase and increase and increase until only OpenOffice would be available to be physically installed on a computer.

Data installed in the Cloud is really no longer yours. My network was recently attacked by a Server from a Data Centre in Turkey. If the FBI, CIA and all the other high security acronym agiencies can be hacked then the Cloud Data Centers will be an extremely high profile target.

So, I hope we have a nice sunny day and the Cloud evaporates.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
            Unconcerned personally, cloud computing will fall by the wayside after the first catastrophic data loss occurs. Just look at what's happening with Sony at the moment
            And the Amazon cloud outage, something that cloud computing is meant to render impossible.

Yeah... sure.

There's a reason that companies still buy Exchange etc rather than moving to Google Apps etc. Sure, there are companies who are outsourcing their email, there are arguments for and against it. I really don't see in-house infrastructure ever dying out though. We even host our public website in-house.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

everything is offloaded into the 3rd party cloud provider.
              I think there will be more opportunities than problems. Someone still needs to manage and monitor the cloud... and I doubt that companies will want to give up too much control of their data

Comment

Originally posted by Cheerio
                and I doubt that companies will want to give up too much control of their data
                Once you data is stored on the far side of your firewall you HAVE given up control of it and you are more or less horizontally fertilised.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I know for a fact that cloud computing will not last. I mean, Microsoft does have Office 365, but seriously, who uses it? i looked at it for a bit, but if you think about it. Why does a Dell PowerEdge T110 sit upstairs in my computer room? Why does it have two roles in particular installed on it (Iis and application server)? The answer is because I'm sick of dealing with hosting providers, I'm sick of having to ask something of someone else that should very well be my responsibility. Having things in the cloud takes all of the responsibility of the local user away. And not to mention, talented folken in the computer industry will be nonexistent if this cloud hype continues. I say that we should kill it while we can.

Comment

Originally posted by Chromebuster View Post
                    I know for a fact that cloud computing will not last. I mean, Microsoft does have Office 365, but seriously, who uses it? i looked at it for a bit, but if you think about it. Why does a Dell PowerEdge T110 sit upstairs in my computer room? Why does it have two roles in particular installed on it (Iis and application server)? The answer is because I'm sick of dealing with hosting providers, I'm sick of having to ask something of someone else that should very well be my responsibility. Having things in the cloud takes all of the responsibility of the local user away. And not to mention, talented folken in the computer industry will be nonexistent if this cloud hype continues. I say that we should kill it while we can.
                    Yes I agree with you, from my point of view, the cloud support will be more likely outsourced to a outsourced country to do the remote maintenance.

Comment

And that's even scarier since I've seen what happens when manufacturers like Dell and those guys outsource to other countries. The people from across the world are given scripts, and who knows, they might have no knowledge of the product previously! I most certainly wouldn't want a person like that managing my server.

Comment

And that's even scarier since I've seen what happens when manufacturers like Dell and those guys outsource to other countries. The people from across the world are given scripts, and who knows, they might have no knowledge of the product previously! I most certainly wouldn't want a person like that managing my server.
                        Exactly yes, that is why I am still not sure as of why do people move their data into the cloud ? (my previous employer did this last week by migrating all of their 123GB+ fileserver content into Google cloud and ditch the Exchange Server, next year they'll buy Chrome Netbook, such a brave move by a small 45 users software house).

Here's a topic about the people trust in Cloud COmputing: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...75?tag=nl.e019

Comment

I know for a fact that cloud computing will not last.
                          Yeah, and Bill Gates supposedly said that 640K ought to be enough for everybody If you really think it's a fact, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you cheap!

Seriously though, there's certainly good reasons for people to go to an external cloud / 3rd party cloud. Renting IOPs in the cloud is a great way to save money.
                          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, it's like some marketing guru's somewhere said hosted solutions have been out there for years, but we need something that will dupe the masses into believing this hosted solution is so much better & newer & more awesome than previously thought. Let's call it the "cloud"! Put it all in the cloud.

It's infected many of my clients. 99% don't know what it is, they just know they want it. A marketers dream.

A few have gone to google apps & returned to us. We were a bit panicked at first but soon realized after actually working with them for the past year how crap it is.

Little support & too slow to be helpful. More hops mean more chance of failure than a localy hosted solution. Not to mention the latency. Integration with legacy apps is a massive fail. Users didn't like how when they went to use their mail, it spawned a new window for every menu. Mail= new window, calendar= another window, contacts=another window again.

Private clouds probably have a better chance, but really, to the end user there is not much difference. Public clouds offer great price reductions but people need to think about how "public" & cheap, don't always equal good value. Public toliets vs private toilets, public housing vs private housing etc.

It's already shown that by having hundreds of clients on the same public cloud, just means more opportunities & one stop shopping for hackers. The potential for theft & DDOS attacks have already been seen. Hackers are only just learning the delights of cloud computing.

I've been compiling a list of cloud fail links & the list is getting bigger & better every day.

Comment

Thanks for sharing Mobius,

Is there any reason why people doesn't like Google Mail or App cloud to replace the Mail server ?

My previous company move from Exchange server 2007 in house to Google this year and the reason is for cost saving for sure that's according to them, as I have moved into new place already before they give me the marching order.

Comment

Working...
                              X