IPv4 Runs Out in One Area

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPv4 Runs Out in One Area

This is getting real serious now but the ISPs seem to be dropping the ball and not converting to IPv6, unless it is all being done in secret.

http://www.arnnet.com.au/article/383...101&uid=125507
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Re: IPv4 Runs Out in One Area

May be they can buy a few from Microsoft who just poached Nortel's.
    Not surprised at this article. Typical response from ISP's who leave it way to late in the day. They'll soon get their acts together though when it affects "new" business.

Comment

MS have a B Class IP range. Have a look at the ones who have an A Class. Apple, bet they don't have 16,777,214 devices on their network.

If the Lookback had been changed there is another 16 million. Still, it has to stop and get IPv6 up and running ASAP. ::1 is the only IPv6 I really know.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Iv always been of the opinion that IANA should have the power to get companies to release addresses that are not in use. Practically of course and economically that would be nigh on impossible to enforce though.

Comment

ISPs need to make their networks capable of running ipv6. Returning unused ip ranges will not solve the exhaustion. It will only give a small amount of extra time to convert to ip6.
          gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

Did the MS/Nortel deal actually go through? I know they put the bid in but hadn't seen if it got approved. Some of the IPs from Nortel were supposed to go back to ICANN as well.

I'm just about to start my MCITP: EA upgrades so need to learn IPv6 anyway. We're also looking at Direct Access so that's another reason to learn.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
            X