Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feds seize CnC addresses

Related to this article at the register

The US Govt has approved federal prosecutors in their bid to seize several IP addresses and around 50 domain names.

The basis of this seizure is because they are known to be used as command/contorl network for the CoreFlood network.
    They are now using it to issue shutdown commands to the software, rather than the more nefarious use of stealing money.

So anyway, my question is this:

Is this a good thing, or a bad thing? Is it good for society, or is it a gross misuse of power? Should we allow/agree the government to do whatever is necessary to shutdown these networks, or take control of them?

If they can't find the perpetrators, do you think this is an effective way to deal with the issue?

discuss
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: Feds seize CnC addresses

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
    Is this a good thing, or a bad thing?
    Yes.

Is it good for society, or is it a gross misuse of power?
    Yes.

Should we allow/agree the government to do whatever is necessary to shutdown these networks, or take control of them?
    I'm sure you realise that no matter what percentage of the electorate hate a policy, you're never going to stop a government sticking its nose in

If they can't find the perpetrators, do you think this is an effective way to deal with the issue?
    It's a short-term solution. For every botnet you destroy, two more will spring up to take its place. But then, chances are those two would have surfaced anyway, so you've taken out one botnet. Arguably, that must be a good thing.

discuss
    And you shall win a cookie?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

nah well.. i was talkin about it with my wife.. and she is utterly against it, thinks it's completely wrong.

Personally, I disgree. I think it's a great idea to kill the cnc nodes.
      However, I think it's more appropriate for the ISPs that control the routes to the IP Addresses to kill the routes. That way, it's not the government interferring, it's simply the network provider handling things on the basis of it's Acceptable Usage Policy, which in almost every case, says soemthing about you may not use it to affect others, or for hacking, things like that.

In my mind, there is absolutely no reason why ISPs can't, or shouldn't, drop routes to these CnC nodes.

and beyond that, the registrars should also be able to drop the registration.

To me - this really seems like the best way to stop it all - if the existing tools can't reach their CnC networks, then sure, people are infected, but the tools can't be updated to know about new CnC networks.

you can't have a cookie, because all the cookies were stolen by the malware network :P
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Well Andy, you will just LOVE this. http://yro.slashdot.org/story/11/04/...puter-Searches

The Labor Govt (Senitwit Conroy) was pushing to have an Internet Filter in OZ and it would have a secret filter list. The list got published by some site (can't remember) and on it were a butcher and a beauty salon (national security threats those two). The wording of the bill would have allowed the Govt to add on anything they didn't like. If you had a blog that critisized the Govt of the day, they could add your site to the and the first you would know about it is your site not working.

The world is moving closer and closer to what George Orwell wrote in his 1984 book. Just looking at the unrest at present in the Middle East those times have been here for some time however this is now impacting more and more on the "less than free world".

If anyone saw the 6 year old child getting a FULL PAT DOWN on Youtube by a TSA gestapo agent and are NOT horrified by this then you have given away your rights already. On a morning OZ show (Channel 9), the male host was horrified wereas the two female co-host and news reader were of the opinion "it is the times we live in". Problem is that this 6 year old is going to grow up accepting this sort of physical (molestation? ) intrusion as normal.

Look what happened last year in the US when they tried to organise an OPT OUT day. Most of the sheep just went ahead and allowed themselved to be groped and molested. The TSA stories are horrifying, shocking and bewildering. They even stopped and hassled a Secret Service agent because her baby in a stroller had a 120ml bottle of water to suck on for a flight. Can you get a better security clearance than to be cleared to guard POTUS?

An avaition security conference was held in Canada last year. By video link form Israel they spoke to the guy who headed airport security for the last 30 years and it was revealed they had 2 security breaches in that time. With the methods they use there is also less time required for checkin and security screening. No skin depositing backscatter radiation devices for them because they DON'T work. All these things do is make money for the people who manufacturer them.

At Melbourne International airport a week ago, someone walked through the wrong door. EVERYONE who had been cleared through security was pulled out of the waiting areas and put back through again. THOUSANDS rescreened, flights delayed and then there was the flow on effect.

Too many rights and freedoms that our fathers and grandfathers fought and died for have been meekly surrendered all in the cause of "terrorism". We had terrorists in the 70s who hi-jacked and blew up planes and the security was nowhere as intrusive as it is at present. They sure didn't require warrantless searches or secret warrants issued by secret judges based on rumors. In OZ, if you are subjected to one of these secret warrant searches, you have NO right to legal representation. If you tell your lawyer (or anyone) you were the subject of one of these searches you can go to jail.

In the US, some con artist suckered millions from Govt department because he had them convinced his software could predict a "terrorist" attack by filter it out of web traffic. It was this software that resulted in aircraft from Europe being turned back over the Atlantic ocean some years back. The FBI started an investigation on this guy but it has been stopped due to "National Security" issues. I guess one of these national security issues would be to hide the fact they go played and don't want this to come out in public.

And now we have ONE person from ONE country who now has the "right" to do this to the rest of the world.

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I think I see the point you're making there.

Basically, you're saying that by seizing this CnC network, it's taking away our rights as individuals, in the same way that ever-increasing security restrictions at airports are stupid, and don't acheive a great deal?

Personally, I think a far better way to deal with virus and malware infections is to take administrative privileges off everyone.. and to take idiots off the internet, but anyway :P

Comment

Yes Andy, exactly. The military call it Mission Creep. We could call it Taking Away Our Rights Creep, until they are ALL gone.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X