What to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do?

Hi guys, I have been in the industry for quite a while. I am currently doing storage and backups, but will like to gain knowledge on routing and switching. Now, I know that theory is very important, but I am one of those that learns by doing.

Any recommendations on what to do? How to start?

Re: What to do?

Depends what you want to get out of it. Just some practical experience or something like a Cisco qualification?

My suggestion would be to get some equipment and play with it. You can get suitable kit for a Cisco lab (or other routers and managed switches) very cheaply on Ebay. You could also get some experience by setting up a virtual platform (suitable hypervisors are available freely or for a reasonable charge) and installing "software routers" such as Windows Server with RRAS or Linux and playing with the various virtual networks. If you can afford it I'd personally opt for buying real hardware though.

It really depends on how in depth you want to be though. Do you want to have a basic understanding of routing and switching, enough for day to day administration, or do you want an understanding of the fundamental principles, which would equip you for troubleshooting and capacity planning for instance.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks, Gareth.

At this moment, I want to learn the basics of it--as you mentioned--for a day-to-day simple administration (IOS commands, etc.).

I bought a couple of routers and switches, but I want to play around with GNS3 and Packet Tracer--I can have them on my laptop and play around with them a lot.

Comment

Ok. In that case I'd find some tutorials and "try this" exercises online. Then think of scenarios that you would come across in your business and see if you can figure out the best way forward.

FYI, there are packet generator apps around (mostly for Linux) that you can use to simulate network load.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
        X