Bloody Popups

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloody Popups

Went to check ConradJ's suggestion in this post http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=54149 only to be confronted by the page needing popups enabled. Considering all browsers and a lot of products are specificially designed to STOP these effing popups, why do companys like Microsoft INSIST on having popups on their pages.

It is effing annoying. Click image for larger version

Name:	angryoldman.gif
Views:	14
Size:	2.8 KB
ID:	468846
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Re: Bloody Popups

Doesn't prompt for me in Firefox or IE.

But yes, popups *are* very 90s
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

What's really getting to me browser wise is companies who claim to be security companies (Hint: Begins with S and ends in ymantec) who want you to install flash and java to download server software like Backup Exec and Endpoint Protection.

More annoying (IMO) than popups themselves are the popups that appear in the background so you think nothing has happened when you click a link.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Aha, never had any popups or prompting for such things using Opera! I do agree though, MS should really know better!

Comment

Nice to see people don't like pop-ups here. For a very short time I was in 'another' forum where they basically said: "No discussion of blocking ads, or ad blocking software - Websites cost money to run and blocking ads is no more than theft of service, if you dont like a sites ads then dont use the site."

What a load of you know what.

In addition, adding all the IPs resolved from ad.yieldmanager.com into a firewall rule works quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by werdna View Post
            "No discussion of blocking ads, or ad blocking software - Websites cost money to run and blocking ads is no more than theft of service, if you dont like a sites ads then dont use the site."
            Agreed - it would be unreasonable to expect sites like this to be run without generating some revenue from adverts.

We're discussing popups, not site ads
            Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Yeah, they are awful and noisy!

Comment

What actually worries me, not being an expert in web browser technology, is how on earth do so many sites manage to still get their crappy pop-out windows even though mainstream browsers have this featured disabled (IE, FF, GC etc.). How do they do it, and why can't web browsers be more aggressive about preventing it from happening?
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I'd have to concur with Daniel's post - how the fk does it happen ?

The next step from that, is, how do we stop users from clicking on those pop-outs that say "omg!!!one?! you are infected!! clikz here nowz or LOLCATS will format your computer!!one!"

because you know they ALL do..

:P
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

You mean you don't click on them occasionally just for the adrenaline rush you get from doing something you know you shouldn't?
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

Working...
                    X